Hi
This is my first post, and I have a question for you all.
I just purchased a previously enjoyed IBM ThinkPad R52 laptop (which should arrive in a few days. This is an older laptop, but it has pretty well all the basic stuff I'll be needing in it. The laptop is running Windows XP sp3 and has 1G of ram as well as 60G hd. I purchased this laptop to play studio tracks mp3 files, (I'm a part time musician)and I'm worried about the quality of sound that will be coming from the sound card (or head phone jack) to a P.A.system, where the music will be amplified. I plan on using iTune software to play the songs from it's library, then again, maybe you can recommend a better choice of software to play the songs on the laptop.
Anyway, am I worrying for nothing, or would any of you recommend that I replace the IBM stock sound card, and replace it with a better quality sound card for live stage performance? I'm not looking for 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound like my desktop has, but rather just a good stereo sound.
Any suggestions ?
Thanks in advance for any input you may have.

With that Model, there is no upgrade available. The R52 is a business class laptop and, thus, the sound is good, but not meant for home theater-style sound. You will get stereo sound out of the headphone jacks. The biggest hit on quality will be the bitrate of the encoded songs unless you are using FLAC.

Most PA systems I've used sound pretty crappy anyway.

If you are really set on an upgrade, look to an external USB sound card. Soundblaster made a X-Fi surround card that did 5.1 with optical out. You can pick one up for about $50.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.