I built a HTPC100 with a FoxConn 760GxK8MB motherboard and a Sempron 2800+ CPU a few months ago. The machine was set up to go into standby mode after 30 minutes and it had been doing that just fine for months. To wake it up, I would just press the power button or move the mouse. Everything worked fine. However, just a few hours ago, I tried to press the power button and got no response. I went ahead and unplugged the computer, and when I plugged it back it, the fan started, and it looked like it was starting its boot sequence. However, after the beep, it simply turned itself off before going into POST. Pressing the power button does not have any effect. The only thing I can do, is unplug the computer, wait for 15 sec or so, and when I plug it in, without pressing the power button, it starts the boot sequence, and again, at the beep, it turns itself off.

At this point I have no idea what could be happening or where the problem might be. I would greatly appreciate it if you could help me in any way.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

please try reseting the Cmos then turning it back on

Tried that, didn't work.
THanks

What do have for a power supply, and do you find your power solution... safe?
Computer post-mortem:
-Your machine got an unhealthy spike of electricity and the motherboard went down screaming. (I say this because my friend encountered the exact symptoms.)-

This is my only true conclusion, this type of thing is very rare, but like I said, this happened with my friend. We tested my power supply on his board, and noticed the perpetual restarts were still there, and no post. I told him that running a computer on a 550W power supply of $30 from some unknown manufacturer and a power strip working off another power strip in a historic home was sure to yield... bad results.

If I know your power situation and your power supply, I could help more in this situation. I'm aiming at a dead component.

What do have for a power supply, and do you find your power solution... safe?
Computer post-mortem:
-Your machine got an unhealthy spike of electricity and the motherboard went down screaming. (I say this because my friend encountered the exact symptoms.)-

This is my only true conclusion, this type of thing is very rare, but like I said, this happened with my friend. We tested my power supply on his board, and noticed the perpetual restarts were still there, and no post. I told him that running a computer on a 550W power supply of $30 from some unknown manufacturer and a power strip working off another power strip in a historic home was sure to yield... bad results.

If I know your power situation and your power supply, I could help more in this situation. I'm aiming at a dead component.

I have Enermax 270 W PSU. THe PC is a htpc with a micro ATX MOBO.

I switched MOBO's and PSU and it started working fine. I switched back to the original PSU and it was also working. So I conclude that it was the FoxCOnn MOBO. I'll try to send it back to them, its only a few months old. Although it could be a spike as you suggested. I have a regular powerstrip that right now has a TV and the computer on. What is your opinion on the more expensive spike protector strips?

thanks for your help!

I've found keeping electrical traffic simple, on almost any power strip, keeps the devices onboard alive and happy. Considering you have some standard, I'm hoping you didn't go and pay anything over $60 for a surge protector. On the issue of PSU, I'd personally get something in the 300-350 wattage range, considering what's in your box. Preferably Antec by brand, as I have yet to lose a machine with one of those PSUs mounted inside.

A little late, but electrical advice never hurts. :P

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.