WheelDawg 0 Newbie Poster

I tried to update drivers yesterday, but neglected to un-install older ones, and that caused me a LOT of problems... I finally got rid of everything nVidia on my computer and started over, which led to my computer having to re-recognize everything from the SM bus (whatever the heck that is) to my optical drives, IDE controllers, etc.

Anyway, I got things seemingly normal again so I go to play one of my favorite games (Call of Duty 2) and notice it sounds weird. After some investigation I found that there was no sound coming through the rear speakers, and since I've had EAX turned on it was understandable it would be a bit muffled with 2 channels missing.

There used to be a program call nForce Control Panel or something like that in the Windows Control Panel. However, in all the hullabaloo that has vanished, and that is how I got my rear speakers working the first time, due to customizable connection options on how I had my speakers plugged in. Now some unrecognized "Multi-Channel Sound Manager" thing has appeared in the WCP, and it tells me how it wants my speakers plugged in, and even following that nothing works.

Going in the stantdard Windows "Sounds and Audio devices" everything seems fine, it's setup to be a 5.1 channel system.

I thought about just re-install ing the nForce drivers, or downloading newer ones again, but upon visiting the Add/Remove list, clicking "remove" on "nVidia nForce drivers" doesn't do anything.... it stays in the list.

So what I would like to know is, is there a manual way to un-install them so I can re-install and hopefully fix this??? Or am I now just completely screwed?? Would buying a separate (because nForce is integrated audio), dedicated sound card fix my problem? I wanted to get a real sound card eventually anyway, but not for a while, although if that's what it takes to get my game back to its surround-sound EAX2 glory, I will.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.