Hello, thanks for reading.

I have recently noticed sound only coming from one speaker. I have done the obvious diagnoses and determined:

• both speakers work fine (on another PC using the same set-up); and
  • it is not the operating system (Windows) - I booted a recent Ubuntu Live CD and the problem persisted; hence
  • it must be my sound card / the female aux connector? :(

I really appreciate any advice, thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

You can get a PCI sound card for about £10-£15 so might be worth a go just trying it out.

you tried you speakers on another computer ,maybe try another set of speakers on your computer

Hi, thanks for the replies. The speakers work fine with other devices (including computers). I also forgot to mention - I put headphones into the same port and got the same effect, with a high-pitched noise in one ear-piece. I think I'll try using some different audio ports from my sound card (phono) to experiment / as a solution, as soon as I get the sound system set up :)

what make /model of sound card do you have in the computer ,

I know you know what you are doing ,but,do you have the speakers plugged into the green jack on the card .sounds like the jack you are using is maybe a mono jack and not stereo,not likely i know

It's Realtek, but I'm not sure on the model. It definitely always used to be stereo ;) this is a recent development and I'm trying to isolate the source / get some advice. It's plugged into the green aux jack, which goes directly to my sub, which then splits the audio to each speaker via individual phonos. I have a couple of permutations to play with so I'll do that soon.

I have a couple of permutations to play with so I'll do that soon.

ok. if that doesn't work , if it were mine i would try a uninstall ans reinstall of the drivers

It is not the drivers - from my first post:

it is not the operating system (Windows) - I booted a recent Ubuntu Live CD and the problem persisted

oops missed that ,i think then if it's a onboard sound device then jbennet,s suggestion is you best option

Well, some more fiddlings left me still without a solution :(
I've tried using the digital audio out from my sound card (instead of aux) with a different sound system and all I'm getting is a horrible, crackly, poppy version of the sound I should be hearing :/ does it sound like my sound card is on the way out? It all seems very confusing to me.

giving that it didn't work in Ubuntu ,i would say it sure sounds like the card is the problem

Something I forgot to mention and only just occurred to me to check again - the headphone aux jack works fine with the same speakers, cables, etc. Does this suggest it could be a fault with the other female aux connector, rather than sound card?

Something I forgot to mention and only just occurred to me to check again - the headphone aux jack works fine with the same speakers, cables, etc. Does this suggest it could be a fault with the other female aux connector, rather than sound card?

one can only assume so ,

small jack sockets and plugs are not as reliable as people think! Often dirt or just tired springiness in the socket can cause one side to fall over. Another possibility is that with repeated use the plug cable has become broken inside the covering close to the plug where it gets a lot of strain from bending. (which can also move the female socket enough not to contact;) I realise this is now over a month old but it may help elsewhere; Also the solder joints may have become corroded (or failed due to dry joints).
M
M

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.