Have an old MAXTOR D740X-6L IDE drive. On the drive is jumper information not fully clear to me. An image of the drive information is uploaded to: http://cid-63220807a7f4accb.photos.live.com/browse.aspx/MAXTOR

I am familiar with cable select but not the others. Just want to set it for master but hopefully I can learn about the others such as PK, DS, and Key. I know that the black blocks within the grid refer to the jumper but I would want to know the scheme of this entire grid. Looking for an informed opinion

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Master and slave settings are for older systems that cannot use cable select. Those settings are mostly (but not exclusively) for the very old computers that use 40 conductor data cables rather than the faster 80 conductor cables.

Just go for master settings.It would do really fine.

If it works, don't futz with it! If CS doesn't work, set it to Master. If that doesn't work, set it to Slave. If this is the only drive in the system, you are golden. If not, then you will need to do some more futzing if CS doesn't work for both devices.

Setting registry is very important for drive cleanup and hard disk cleanup

Setting registry is very important for drive cleanup and hard disk cleanup

are they ,what setting are you referring to .
most registry editors are the most dangerous software tools know to computers and are not necessary for the average user

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.