Hi. Today I bought a used Hard disk. Now I want to format it completely and check for any bad sectors which HDD may have. How can i do this? Tell me the best way to do it.
I am Windows user. Hard disk is IDE (not SATA)..
hi, it depends on what you have for a computer ,if you have a tower ,install the drive as a slave and ,check in mycomputer to make sure it sees the drive .close mycomputer ,go to start right click on mycomputer go manage ,then disk management and in there you can format it , then i would use a utility from the hard drive manufacturer site to check it for errors.
or you could install it in a usb external case and do the same
if i format it using windows XP format utility and then check it for any bad sectors and error using error checking utility of XP. Will it provide me authentic results that whether the HDD has any problems or not. Any other ideas would be appreciated!
1. Purchase a USB docking station or enclosure for the drive.
2. Plug it into the system.
3. Go to the (assume you use Windows) disk manager tool and remove any old partitions.
4. Add a new NTFS partition.
5. Format the partition, selecting the "full" vs. "quick" option (or similar).
6. Scan the new file system for bad blocks - the tool will instruct you to reboot to do this since it is done before the system restarts and mounts the new file system.
This might not be the right place to post this and if it is im sorry but I just have need help with my PC. I made my build last year with my student loan jump forward to yesterday I went out to the game and plugged in an old ...