Hi,

My machine won't boot up. it powers up but won't post. I've taken out all the hardware etc. and tried to boot up with the minimun of requirements.

No POST.

Anyway I looked at the CPU only to discover there were a couple of pins bent.

I've been asked to provide the following information:

SIZE, CACHE, FSB and PIN.

How do you tell these from a broken CPU?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hi Benedicto, welcome to Dani Web.

There are a couple of ways to go about this, the simplest obviously is to look a the top of the CPU, you will have to remove the heatsink/fan assembley to see.

If your computer isn't a home build, google the make and model, and you should be able to find out what you have. You could also call the company and ask them.

What is the make and model of your computer?

You can also read the numbers on the motherboard and look up the motherboard - even if it is custom built. The motherboard manufacturer site will tell you what cpu size and range you can use. You do not necessarily have to replace with the same speed = depends on motherboard specs

see as how we are opening old post ,maybe ill add that you need not take anything apart if windows is working ,get this software ,cpu-Z.
www.cpuid.com

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.