device. Last time it would loop on start, but I system restored and it was just fine. I'm thinking that I could boot from a Windows XP CD and fix the boot settings, but the thing is, I don't have a windows XP disc, nor do I have a working optical drive, because for some reason my system will not recognize the Samsung drive that I installed recently. Any solutions? And if I have to go get an XP disc, what exactly would I do with it when I got it?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Reformat, and reinstall the operating system, if this is the primary.

This seems to be a hardware issue, either the hard drive or motherboard is not functioning as it should. If the computer found the drive, a "missing operating system" (or similar) message would arise.

Some BIOS settings can be tweaked to accept hard drives or read them in particular ways. I know my Seagate states specifically on the hard drive's sticker that I should configure the BIOS to read it in "LBA." Also, ensure "S.M.A.R.T. Mode" is enabled. Makes hard drive detection a little simpler. I don't know of your PC model or its BIOS, for that matter, so it's difficult to guide through.

If you are not trying to boot from the Samsung, then I would enter the BIOS anyway to check hard drive boot order, whereof floppy/disc should be first on the list, then your hard drives after--the primary above the secondary, if that is the scenario.

I went to the BIOS and set it to all the defaults, and now it attempts to start the OS, but it now loops on start again. Might this be a virus?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.