Hi all,

A friend brought me this computer, it's a gateway NV53 with windows 7.

The problem was that the HDD was locked. Everytime the computer is turned on, the message "Ennter HDD User Password" appears.

For that, we got a new hard drive for it and a windows 7 installation disk. However, with the new HDD now I get the PHE-E61 error. I changed the boot order to the DVD drive with out good results. Even tried with a dvd with ubuntu and even though I hear the dvd spinning, it eventually ends up with the PHE-E61. Have reset BIOS to default values a few times.

I have put the booting from lan option at the very end of the booting order list to no avail.

When I put back the old hard drive and it consistently gives me the "Enter HDD password" message. Then I put back on the new hard drive and again PHE-E61 error.

Help!

Thank you!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

If you don't have the original system password, then you need to do this:

1. Wipe disc COMPLETELY. Boot from a live CD/DVD/USB Linux system - and then from a terminal command line window, run the command: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M
  2. Create a new boot sector / partition table, or just go to #3 (it will create the boot sector / partition table for you).
  3. Install OS from CD/DVD/USB drive - I'd suggest you try a Linux distribution. It's free and will probably work better than Windoze - just my opinion.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Earlier today I digged and took off the CMOS battery for a about an hour but didn't take care of the HDD password issue.

However, now, with the new HDD on, I was able to boot from a Linux Mint installation CD. (I was not able before, not with the new blank HDD)

That's good news so far since it would not boot from a windows 7 dvd.

Now, Linux Mint is still loading but the computer is not mine. If I get it to fully run on the laptop, any idea what to do next as I need to put windows 7 in it.

Taking into account that this HDD is blank, brand new.

Thanks!

Additional details:

Something is logged in that computer that completely rejects windows installation disks.

Linux Mint runs like a charm, but by no means the computer will recognize any cd or DVD related to windows. After some readin, what fits best is that the motherboard has a bad ass virus lodged in.

I tried to reinstall the BIOS with a fresh copy, the problem is that I got the files from gateway but I'm stuck at how to make them run on a linux machine (since the computer has only a copy of linux in its hard drive).

So, input on this would be very appreciated.

I read some stuff about cooking up a bootable CD with the fresh BIOS and some sort of DOS emulator, but all the explanations are written in seasoned linux user language.

So, help would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.