I have a Dell Inspiron Laptop and my HDD just failed. I'll be very specific so you all can help. When booting (XP Pro) I got the blue Screen of Death: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_DRIVE
I ran a DST-Short Test and got:
Msg: Unit 0:Drive Self Test failed. Status byte = 79.

I then ran another diagnostic and got:
Error code 0F00:0244
Msg: Block 7900671: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected.
I got another 30+ blocks before I quit the test.

I have tons of photos, my resume, and lots of other irreplaceable things on that drive that I'd like to recover. I bought a 2.5" enclosure, but when I hook it up to my desktop, it doesn't see it. The HDD I'm using is:
Hitachi Travelstar 5400RPM Sata
I also tried connecting the new HDD and it was not detected
Toshiba 5400RPM Sata

My questions are relating this...
1) Is there something in my desktop BIOS that is not detecting these drives?
2) What is the chance to recover these files?
3) Any advice or pointers are very welcome.

Cheers,
Mike

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Mike

slim to none !unless you want to pay a recover firm big bucks

slim to none !unless you want to pay a recover firm big bucks

How much are we talking here?

How much are we talking here?

could be in the thousanda of dollars ,or less ,do a www. google.com search for data recovery from dead drive ,'
this site is in canada ,you could request a quote to get an idea .
http://www.datarecoverycorp.ca/?source_id=google&keyword=data_recovery_hard_drive_raid_&keywordgroup=raid_canada&gclid=CJTHwvLEuZcCFQEoGgodkFr6TA

another one .
http://www.salvagedata.ca/
and another .
http://www.diskdoctors.com/

I have a Dell Inspiron Laptop and my HDD just failed. I'll be very specific so you all can help. When booting (XP Pro) I got the blue Screen of Death: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_DRIVE
I ran a DST-Short Test and got:
Msg: Unit 0:Drive Self Test failed. Status byte = 79.

I then ran another diagnostic and got:
Error code 0F00:0244
Msg: Block 7900671: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected.
I got another 30+ blocks before I quit the test.

I have tons of photos, my resume, and lots of other irreplaceable things on that drive that I'd like to recover. I bought a 2.5" enclosure, but when I hook it up to my desktop, it doesn't see it. The HDD I'm using is:
Toshiba 5400RPM Sata

My questions are relating this...
1) Is there something in my desktop BIOS that is not detecting these drives?
3) Any advice or pointers are very welcome.

Cheers,
Mike

I bought a 2.5" enclosure, but when I hook it up to my desktop, it doesn't see it. The HDD I'm using is:
Toshiba 5400RPM Sata

Hi, as far as I know when you plug-in an external USB drive it will not be detected by the BIOS...unless your BIOS support this features..
when you plug-in your hdd, did you check in Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management whether your drive is there or not? if your using a new hdd and its working properly and your external casing is working also,..you can see your HDD as an "Unallocated Drive" in Disk Management...

However, if your old HDD is not deteceted by the BIOS when you plug in that directly to your laptop then..as what Caperjack said..your chances of recovering data is very Slim.. take this experience as a lesson..important files burn to DVD or CD..

Cheers!

He can't get to the OS, How is he supposed to check control panel? LOL

Have you tried running a linux live CD to try and acces the data on your Hard Drive?

You can load Knoppix into ram then use it to access your HDD and maybe put some of those files onto a harddrive or CD.

Bought a 2.5 enclosure to use the 10gb hdd from a broken Dell Inspiron

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.