I reformatted my C drive, due to some major errors and what not. And before I did it, I was sure to save all the files I wanted on my other Hitachi HD (120 GB).

After I did that, I went ahead and reformatted my C drive, to a clean slate. Now, here's my problem.. when I go in My Computer and click on my other HD, it says it must be formatted. And when I use "Disk Manager" it also says it must erase the disk before it can use it.

So, is there any way around this? I have some very important data that I dont want to lose, and its fustrating knowing it's just sitting on the other HD.

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Did you reinstall the Windows?
Did you, by any chance, go from XP to 98 and your 2nd drive is in NTFS format?
If so, try http://diskinternals.com/download/NTFS_Reader_Setup.zip

It's free.

Yes, I reinstalled XP... when the hard drive shows up on My Computer and Disk Manager, its operating system is "unknown". Thus making me erase the entire disk...

I remember one problem I had years ago with multiple drives.
3 of them.
3rd (Master on ch2) was all the sudden unformatted (or disappeared from bios, don't recall) when I changed partition formation on 1st (deleted logical drive, primary partition and created 1 Primary and active partition that concluded 100% of available space). The problem was that 3d drive also had an active primary partition. When I put it from "master" to "cable select" it reappeared, so I was able to access files (and copy them and setup partiton properly). Maybe this little story can help you (or confuse you even further).

I follow, except, please explain how I would change it to cable select...

If you tell me which model (and a brand) we're talking about here...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.