Am new to inside computer works. know all there is to know about software, but hardware is another story. I recently purchased a Serial ATA hard drive, and went to install it, but the cable inside the computer had a different connector on it.

From reading on different sites, I see serial ATA vs. IDE. IDE is the type of cable in my computer. What do I have to do, to install this hard drive as a slave inside my computer. Thank you for any help.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hi, and welcome to DaniWeb.

First thing you need to do is ensure that your system is suitable for SATA hard drives. The motherboard needs to have a SATA controller onboard, and have sockets for the SATA drive cables. If it doesn't have those features then you will need to also purchase a SATA controller add-in card.

If the SATA sockets are already provided you may need to enable the feature in BIOS Setup.

You will need a SATA drive cable, which can be purchased from a computer store.

If your power supply unit does not already have a suitable power connector you will need to purchase a 'molex to SATA converter cable'.

That's it, really. Different data cable (SATA drives attach one drive per cable, rather than 2 as with IDE. There is no Master and Slave drive arrangement.) Different power connector, so an adapter if necessary. A controller card if it isn't onboard SATA. (Or swap the drive for an IDE one if you've purchased the wrong drive and don't want to spend more money.)

First thing you need to do is ensure that your system is suitable for SATA hard drives. The motherboard needs to have a SATA controller onboard, and have sockets for the SATA drive cables. If it doesn't have those features then you will need to also purchase a SATA controller add-in card.QUOTE]

Hate to sound stupid here, but what exactly does a SATA controller look like on the motherboard. If it doesn't I will purchase the SATA add-in card. I just need to know what to look for.

Thanks

You don't need to look for the controller. If it's onboard SATA the controller will be in the motherboard chipset. If the system can already accept SATA drives you need to look for the SATA drive sockets. They will look like this, although they will probably be a different colour:

[img]http://www.overclockers.ru/images/lab/2004/08/19/sata.jpg[/img]

If your PC doesn't already have SATA connectors, you should seriously consider taking the drive back to where you purchased it from and swapping it for an IDE drive. A SATA controller card is not an ultra cheap component, and the drive itself will give you negligible performance difference to an IDE drive. If the system isn't suited to it, and you are able to swap it, there's really no point to keeping it ;)

thank you for your help. My comp does not have the SATA on the motherboard, as I feared. I will send the drive back and find one that will work on my comp. Thank you for all your help.

When looking to purchase another drive, any IDE drive will work? That being ultra ATA133, and such?

Yes, it should be fine. Unless the PC is a pre 2001 or thereabouts system it will almost certainly have at least an ATA100 controller. Slower controllers will operate the drive, but at the lower data transfer rate of course.

If your system is a rather old one, you may encounter 'drive capacity limits' which mean that the full capacity of the drive is not recognised in BIOS. If this happens you will need to use the software tools downloadable from the drive manufacturer website to install the drive and enjoy its full storage capacity.

See this article:
http://www.pcuser.com.au/pcuser/hs2.nsf/web/BD3EA22FE38D2CD6CA257056002B017F

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.