Hello,

If someone could help me I would greatly appreciate it. I have a Toshiba Tecra 9100 that won't operate from the battery. The system operates fine when connected to the AC Adapter. When I unplug the adaptor with the system still on, I recieve a NMI: channel / IOCHK error. After unplugging the AC Adaptor, the operating system stays up until i move the pointer and open a program, then I get the error mesage. I don't think the battery is bad because the system stays on after unplugging the cord, but I cannot get back into the operating system without rebooting first. Does anyone know what is going on? Is the Battery shot? Is the Power Supply bad? PLEEEEEEEASE HELP.

Thank you

Josh

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Microsoft says that it is caused either by hardware malfunction or incopatible drivers. Did you recently install any drivers?

Does it happend ONLY and EVERY time you pull out a chord?

Do you have battery indicator in your taskbar and what does it say?

Microsoft says that it is caused either by hardware malfunction or incopatible drivers. Did you recently install any drivers?

Does it happend ONLY and EVERY time you pull out a chord?

Do you have battery indicator in your taskbar and what does it say?

it happens every time that i pull the cord out. Yes there is a battery indicator on the taskbar and it says that the battery is accepting charge. I have not changed any drivers, but I was thinking that if maybe I uninstalled the cattery drivers and reinstalled, it might work. What do you think?

Thanks

Josh

I think that it's definitly a powe issue.
When you pull the cable out you obviusly shock the system (maybe, for example, the display "blinks" and such) and it's subtile enough that system don't detect any voltage change, but it's enough to mess up memory, hd operation or whatever. (I'm shooting in a dark here)
Then, again, it can be the mechanical shock of pulling the cable caused by loose memory stick. Try shaking a laptop to see if you can reproduce the same effect.

You didn't say if the system behaves normaly when running on battery only.

Heres how I fixed it on a Tecra 9000. Uninstall the program "Toshiba Power Saver".
That was it!
Good Luck

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.