Member Avatar for Angele

Hi! I would appreciate any advice you can give me. My daughter's laptop works just fine if I only open the screen about 3 or 4 inches which means it can't really be used at all! She said she didn't drop it or anything. The problem is if I open it any more than that it gets all these different colored vertical lines and sometimes a couple of horizontal lines. Then it gradually fades to white but I can dimly see the desktop behind the white. Finally the screen goes black except for the colored vertical lines. Then if I close it back down most of the way I can clearly see the desktop again. Every time I open it again the lines are in different places but still all across the screen. Could something be loose inside? If so, how do I fix it? I mean if it is something simple to do please explain specifically how to do it. I've never opened a laptop before but I'm willing to do it if it's something I can do myself to save the cost of taking it to a "computer medic". It is an old laptop and probably not worth spending a lot of money on. Thank you for your help.

Angele

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

That kind of problem any electition with soldetron would fix within minutes.
What you're describing is more like a glitch than a malfunction.
It's basicliy few wires between display and VGA (Video Graphic Array) not in their finest days.
Nothing to worry about. Just take it to repair shop and your daughter will have it back probably by afternoon.

P.S. These things happend. It's wear n' tear. You'll only pay for the labor.

Anyhow, if you're willing to open it up, you will have to write the exact nodel of a laptop. Just to give me a clue of what we're talking about.

Member Avatar for Angele

Thank you so much for your help. The computer is a Compaq Presario 1240. But if it is what you said I will probably take it in to have repaired. It doesn't sound like it would cost very much. Thanks again!

Angele

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.