MAD_DOG 35 Practically a Master Poster

Technology Fallout: Speed of Technology

Sit back get a cup of coffee it's time for another tale of technology
by Jimmy Freligh Jr | May 1st, 2004

What a month, wow I cant believe it is almost over. I just felt like I wrote my last article yesterday. I been reading a lot catching up if you say and noticed how things are "finally" changing in technology (it's about time!). We got 64bit processing around the corner as well 64bit PCI slots or should I say PCI Express that is looking to take over shortly. DDR3200 getting more and more popular, PC2100 is a thing of the past, people getting heat sinks for everything now, ram being one, hard drives, chipsets, video cards the list doesn't end. As of today I heard a fan-less computer with just heat sinks; that keeps cool! (am I crazy?) I am waiting for heat sinks to go on cabling, boy that would be the day.

Sad but, it might happen by the end of this year AGP8x might be a thing of the past, I heard stories of that technology going away possibly soon. Good old Firewire and USB 2.0 just won the market, I don't see any external products any more that aren't Firewire and/or USB 2.0 people don't use a PC anymore just to do homework they want to game, scan pictures, watch movies, do video editing and more. A PC is not just a computer any more it's a home appliance. It's a must have, I am talking Windows, Mac's, and Linux.

Things are changing so quickly I cant even put it on paper. Lets talk SerialATA I been playing around with SerialATA seems that this type of technology is completely going to take over in the next couple of months, motherboard manufactures put a stop to IDE. Some manufactures still make combo boards where you got your IDE and SerialATA in one but, who needs this 10 year old technology IDE is gone completely as of June 2004 I am putting money on it. I really never liked 40 pins anyway.

Well sadly I have agreed with Microsoft's Terms for Beta testing Windows XP 64-Bit Edition I am waiting on my 64bit processor before I can get started. Speaking of beta testing, a new version of Windows Update is coming out shortly well to my knowledge. Which means if you have a bootleg version of Windows XP/2003, you might be blocked from updating Windows "again". This will not affect any body on the Windows 3.x/9x/ME/NT/2000 platforms only Windows XP Home/Professional and all flavors of Windows 2003. By the way this might be in affect before XP ServicePack2 is released.

Lets face it, hacking is fun when you know what your doing, reading peoples emails, moving mouse pointers, all that is fun but, what if you can do better with little or no work would you? The only problem is nobody really knows how to crack/hack for 'fun'. I think people take it too far sometimes. I might as well bring it up since it has been on the news again. I am going to show you how to crackahack well a tool that does it for you. Wait I am a script kiddie? Ah who cares, the program is called IRIS Network Analyzer. This program costs about $2000 and it is only 3MB. Now fair warning you can only use it within your network not outside the network but, there is a feature where you can go beyond your home/office network. I do not recommend doing this, you are at this point breaking the law (that's if you get caught). I am going to make a long story short since Computer Power User (CPU)/Maximum PC/PC World and PC Magazine like things short. Your at home with IRIS installed, your friend is in England, you have his IP as a "test only basis". You input his IP in IRIS, IRIS then starts monitoring his connection from that point on. He opens up Outlook and has 3 different email accounts one from Hotmail, two from his ISP. As soon as he connects to check his email boom IRIS starts sniffing and sniffing she does well. One minute later your friend in England closes Outlook. Then IRIS not only sniffs but, also decodes it to a simple format of your liking, (HTML | Text Only) Now you have a nice little HTML layout of his ISP's information, inside that HTML there is his servers address he connected to example: pop.ISP.com/smtp.ISP.com then comes the magic, his user name/password. All the information he provided to them has been easily sniffed and displayed in a beautiful HTML format for you. Now this may seem scary which it is but, the only things on the Internet that are protected are HTTPS (the S being secure of course) sites and programs stated there encrypted or secure, that's just a sad fact of the Internet. If he goes to a web site I see exactly what he sees unless it is secure, if it is a secure web site it will be scrambled on my end. I can write a book on IRIS and how powerful this tool really is but, like I said only use it within your network to test the security only. That's my two cents.

"Your computer is only as fast as the slowest component"
August 1998, Jimmy Freligh

Jimmy Freligh Jr
Senior Network Operations Director of FiberOps | Winnetka City Councilman

*Be looking at select magazines for my articles I will be hosting my own radio show in shoutcast.com.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.