I have i5-2430M on an acer aspire 4750z laptop, then last year I upgrade the ram with DDR3-1600 CAS 11, now I am confused because in the ark.intel.com it was stated that memory type should be DDR3 1066/1333.

Now my question is why the ram still supported by the cpu(core i5-2430M) that is not listed in the arc.intel.com?
and i was also planing to expand the ram of my laptop, does my cpu can support DDR3-1600 CAS 9 or DDR3-14900 CAS 10?

I will appreciate for any help will come
Thank you,

PS. sorry for my bad english

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Since the DDR3-1600 CAS 11 worked, my guess is that it is compatible with the DDR-3 1066/1333, but it will only run at the 1066 speed of the memory bus that the computer provides. IE, you can use a faster RAM, but it won't run any faster than the computer does.

rubberman is right. You can very typically use memory that is higher speed than that required by your laptop; however, it will only operate at the maximum buss speed of your computer.

rubberman is correct. I don't think there would be any point in getting faster RAM as you PC won't make use of it, also if the faster RAM is more expensive why waste money?

Thank you for all the replies.

On the time I upgraded the RAM I dont know the memory types supports my CPU, i just go to the shop and test some RAM and when i see it works so i buy it, not unitl yesterday that i found out what my cpu can only support.

BTW one more question are the max memory bandwidth of the processor and peak transfer rate of the RAM is related?

thank you

"BTW one more question are the max memory bandwidth of the processor and peak transfer rate of the RAM is related?"

The short answer is yes. Also, the CAS is related. That indicates the number of wait states that the memory will apply in order to properly handle the load. This wikipedia article explains it pretty well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_latency

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.