I have just bought a new 80Gb ide hard drive to go in my computer at work as the old one was getting full (only 9Gb!). Iv put the hard drive in and connected it all up and its not working. The pc can detect its there but when I try installing it I get the message 'This device is disabled because the BIOS for the device did not give it an IRQ..'. The pc is running Windows 98 se and its a dell computer with a pentium III processor. The motherboard is a Precision Workstation 410MT and I have updated the BIOS to the latest version and enabled IDE hard drives in the BIOS.
Any help is very welcome on this matter as I am now at a complete loss.
Thanks in advance for your help.

P.s. I only want the 80Gb hard drive as a slave for new programs etc. I want to keep the 9Gb as it is, running windows.

I have just bought a new 80Gb ide hard drive to go in my computer at work as the old one was getting full (only 9Gb!). Iv put the hard drive in and connected it all up and its not working. The pc can detect its there but when I try installing it I get the message 'This device is disabled because the BIOS for the device did not give it an IRQ..'. The pc is running Windows 98 se and its a dell computer with a pentium III processor. The motherboard is a Precision Workstation 410MT and I have updated the BIOS to the latest version and enabled IDE hard drives in the BIOS.
Any help is very welcome on this matter as I am now at a complete loss.
Thanks in advance for your help.

P.s. I only want the 80Gb hard drive as a slave for new programs etc. I want to keep the 9Gb as it is, running windows.

If your computer is old you will have to change the bios so that it will recognise drives bigger than 32GB. If it hasn't got this option you will have to limit the drive to 32GB with the jumpers on the back of the drive. I think this will solve your problem

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.