Hi

I know this may have been posted on here before, and if it has I am sorry!

Anyway, have discovered this evening that my laptop has started suddenly shutting down. The first time it happened I was browsing the web and it had been on for 40-45 mins when it suddenly turned off within a seconds with a high pitched squeal/ pew sound. I then turned it back on, and the same thing happened almost immediately. After leaving it a few minutes I tried again, only to find that once I had logged in the same thing happened.

The laptop is about 6 years old. It was made by Toshiba and has the 1st gen Intel core i3 processor. About a year and a bit ago it had a replacement battery fitted, and it recently had the free Windows 10 upgrade.

Would I be correct in saying that it is overheating?? Someone said to me the other week that it felt hot around the fan vent, though it has always been relatively warm around that area so I didn't take much notice. The fan has been noticeable from new and I don't remember really noticing it that much tonight, so could that be the culprit?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Ryan

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I got you beat. My oldest laptop in the quarry is the 2006 Dell Inspiron E1505 which started with a failed HDD. So for 30 bucks we put in the 120GB SSD. Now it did take W10 so we did that. With just 1GB RAM it would boot in 45 seconds and we found a 2GB upgrade. How about 33 seconds from power on (not sleeping) and getting a google search result?

OK, your machine is old enough to need the usual canned air cleaning plus fresh heatsink compound. At that age the compound can dry and crack. When you do this work you can check if the fan is seized up.

Yes, I would suggest check the laptop temperature first.

Reseat the HDD and RAM.
Also a simple discharge may help:

1. remove the power adapter
  2. remove battery
  3. pressing the laptop power button over 15 seconds
  4. connec only power adapter, power on.

If working, power off, install the battery back.
Hope this helps.
Bill

i think it is have problem with your processor fan or with your graphic card

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.