laptop will not start. Intermitent lights. Power supply is good and there is power to the motherboard. I have seen a lot of postings of people having the same problem. Is there any help out there? :rolleyes:

I'm having a similar problem with an Inspiron 8000. Did you ever resolve this? Or did you have to replace the motherboard?
thanks,
jb

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Did you ever resolve boot up problem? Have inspiron 8000 with same problem.

jeepney

when it boots pree the FN KEY and f8 work 80% of the time. system look for other monitor then just shuts off

fn key is between ctrl and alt left and side

daughters computer someone reset her username and password and we can't get it to start. please help, she really needs it for schoolwork.

daughters computer someone reset her username and password and we can't get it to start. please help, she really needs it for schoolwork.

I guess you still see the login-screen of windows? If you press ctrl-alt-del (a few times) in the loginscreen you will be able to fill in a username. If you can't remember your own name, you could type 'administrator'. Leave the passwordfield blank and if your very lucky it will start windows..

try to boot windows XP in safe mode ( pressing F8 during boot) then you should be able to log on as the administrator WITHOUT using a password ( if there was no password set during the window install)
and you can reset her password and username from there..

i am a 47 year old microelectronics engineer,i design, build,repair and troubleshoot memory for DELL, HP & COMPAQ i am certified internationally by the association of integrated printed circuits and ive been in the computer business for 27yrs and since 1982
we need to be a bit more specific about "wont start" you have probably bought a new laptop by now but i presently have a dell inspiron 1150 disassembled into 25 pieces for a client and im checking to see if the power adapter is loose from the motherboard.ill post a solution when im done but when you say wont start you should be more specific i.e. doesnt boot to windows or no led power light at all /dead etc.im able to deduct that in some cases here it boots but doesnt load.

can you please let me no your results please? i got a dell latitude d610 working great, plugged in charger the other day thought i heard a little bang and now it wont power on at all! i totally dismantled it to motherboard and reassembled tried different memory tried charging without battery in but nothing any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks for your time

This post was last used on Nov 3rd, 2006
I do not think your information is very relevant now to the original poster but others may see and gain from it.

i am a 47 year old microelectronics engineer,i design, build,repair and troubleshoot memory for DELL, HP & COMPAQ i am certified internationally by the association of integrated printed circuits and ive been in the computer business for 27yrs and since 1982
we need to be a bit more specific about "wont start" you have probably bought a new laptop by now but i presently have a dell inspiron 1150 disassembled into 25 pieces for a client and im checking to see if the power adapter is loose from the motherboard.ill post a solution when im done but when you say wont start you should be more specific i.e. doesnt boot to windows or no led power light at all /dead etc.im able to deduct that in some cases here it boots but doesnt load.

So what do I do? 3 weeks without a computer...no one has any idea
what the problem is....this will be my 3rd power cord(if I buy one)...
Do I need to buy a new computer?
Merry Christmas

Hi unsalted and welcome to Daniweb,
Please open your own thread with details about you machine, OS and problem. How long it has been happening, whast you have done to fix it, what you have downloaded, installed, uninstalled, etc etc...
Someone will try and assist you when they know what you need.

I have this model laptop, but cannot get the 'print screen' key to work. 'Control+Prt Scrn' isn't working to do this. Dies this mean the Print Screen key is bad?

commented: This post is nearly 2 years old let it die start your own thread +0
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.