I have Motorola cable modem hard wired to my eMac. I would like to connect a wireless broadband router to my modem to allow a PC to make a wireless connection while the eMac remains hard wired. I purchased a Linksys Wireless-G router at the suggestion of the salesman only to findout the router requires Windows. I have no desire to network the computers. I only want to share an internet connection. What router would you suggest?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

suggestion of the salesman only to findout the router requires Windows.

Bah, a Linksys modem requiring Windows? Those routers are supposed to be completely platform independent. Type in its IP address into the web browser after you've connected the computer to the router, and you should get the router config page. If it really is only for Windows, I suggest you return this piece of junk imeditately and get a D-Link or something (but I really doubt it's Windows-only).

:mrgreen::cheesy::)

I have Motorola cable modem hard wired to my eMac. I would like to connect a wireless broadband router to my modem to allow a PC to make a wireless connection while the eMac remains hard wired. I purchased a Linksys Wireless-G router at the suggestion of the salesman only to findout the router requires Windows. I have no desire to network the computers. I only want to share an internet connection. What router would you suggest?

:mrgreen::cheesy::)

Howdy!
I understand your frustration. I have a wireless router coming off of a D-Link cable modem, the wireless router is a Linksys WRT55ag. I have a Sony hard wired, an Xbox360 wireless a compaq laptop wireless and used to have my Mac using an Xbox external 54mbps ethernet connected (to my Mac) also working on the wireless system...all was coexisting nicely for quite a while until I folled around with the settings trying to get all to be in the same workgroup, now all but the wireless (xbox360 54mbps) works fine, still connected as described above.

Everything is setup to work an auto DHCP. The Mac keeps getting a nonsense IP and will not connect. I have tried, manual setup with assigning a propper IP address to no avail, the Mac just does not wish to play with the new settings and I do not have the old.

If there's someone out there willing to help me figure this out, I would be grateful.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.