I have a client with a Dell GX-270 (P4, 256 meg, running XPP) that wouldn't start unless it was unplugged from the wall and then plugged back in. If she doesn't follow that proceedure she gets the Dell flash screen at startup for about 3 seconds and then the screen goes into standby mode and the computer just sits there.

It is fully updated (Windows and hardware) and there are no "?"s in device manager.

I was thinking the ps (max power of 210W) might be the source of the trouble so I changed the ps with one with a max power of 200W. The computer displays the same symptoms; boots up sometimes, not others. I managed to do a memory test on it and there were no errors.

Just now it booted and I got into Windows just fine but after 10 minutes the machine shut down on its' own.

I'm at a roadblock here as I don't know what else to check. Any suggetions / assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

If you already changed the PS, try the fans (heatsink, case fan, etc.) make sure no cards are over heating.

I have doen a few things since the post.
I am using a 450W psu. The machine starts sometimes and other times it won't.
Fans are working but I cannot tell what the temp is on the CPU however the disappearance of the image can happen right at a cold start up so I don't think it is a heat problem in the CPU.

Right now it is sitting at the BIOS setup screen and has been there for over 10 minutes

Any furhter thoughts are most welcome

...however the disappearance of the image can happen right at a cold start up so I don't think it is a heat problem in the CPU.

Right now it is sitting at the BIOS setup screen and has been there for over 10 minutes

Any furhter thoughts are most welcome

How about the Video Card... Sometimes VC can heat up and over heat the system as well.

Also, how about the CMOS, resetting JP1?? (If all else fails)

Sorry, I should have reported back.
It was a mobo capacitor issue. There is a known issue for this machine and Dell has replaced the mobo @ n/c. The warrenty extends to Jan 2008

Thanks for your reply though

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.