I'm scared to turn my computer off. The last time I did, it didn't want to start when I pressed the start button. Nothing happened. Finally, after pressing, and pressing, and punching with the tip of a pen, and pressing some more (and praying a whole lot), it 'clicked' and turned on. I just had it worked on about eight months ago. It would come on, but not start up. Now, of course, the warranty is out. Should I never turn it off? Is HP replacing the start buttons for free?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

The switch itself is a little unit that clicks into place from behind the front cover. the Button only pushes down onto it. The switch unit has probably come adrift, or the little plastic lugs holding it in place are worn or broken. Take it to a repairman and see if they can 'butcher' something up to hold it in place properly or even glue it in place. At the very least they should be able to replace the switch unit if it really is faulty.

Im getting a ton of these 2100 series notebooks in w/various problems.. If yours isnt as simple as a misalingmet of button to switch it could be another issue were seeing here. Let us know. (We help a ton of people through these forums)

Im getting a ton of these 2100 series notebooks in w/various problems.. If yours isnt as simple as a misalingmet of button to switch it could be another issue were seeing here. Let us know. (We help a ton of people through these forums)

What about when you push the power button and all the lights blink in sync with the fan turning on and off, after about 10 to 12 attemps its boots normally.

Could be a CPU socket w/bad solder joints from overheating.. (Prevelent on the Athlon models). Or leaky diodes on the supply rails to the CPU.

I have this same problem, but fortunately I am able to turn the computer on using the mail button.

For the best results post your own thread with the specifics of your own problem. Include the make and model of your computer and any other applicable specs.

For the best results post your own thread with the specifics of your own problem. Include the make and model of your computer and any other applicable specs.

I have a Compaq Presario 2100 and everything is plugged into place and I push the power button and nothing happens, it wont turn on at all, no matter how many times i push the button or how long i push it for, nothing helps, what do you think that problem would be? It just stopped turning on out of nowhere.

I have a Compaq Presario 2100 and everything is plugged into place and I push the power button and nothing happens, it wont turn on at all, no matter how many times i push the button or how long i push it for, nothing helps, what do you think that problem would be? It just stopped turning on out of nowhere.

i find it hard to believe you couldn't follow the instructions of post #7

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.