Hello,

I was just using my Toshiba Satellite A20 (PSA20C-0231Q) and it was acting strangely in the past 30 minutes. The fan would run at a high rate of speed, despite having little or no obstruction to the vents. Also, one of the machine's hinges are broken and I haven't had time to fix it. Currently, I place the screen in a position which keeps the lcd stable, but occasionally, it may either slam on my fingers, or fall to a position where the screen is open all of the way.

About five minutes ago, my screen fell backwards to the openmost position. At the exact same instant, the fan was running at an all time clip. When this happened, my laptop died. When I push the power button, nothing happens. Looking at the machine, I saw that the only functioning light was the one that looked like a plug. The light would flash on regular intervals of a couple of seconds, regardless of whether or not the laptop is plugged in. I have removed the battery of the laptop and have disconnected the power supply and now and there are no lights.

Its funny that this has happened now, because I just ordered a new tablet pc for school. Unfortunately, I have a large amount of data I wanted to backup for the new machine this weekend. So I have to fix this machine and get my data (preferred), or take the hd out and see what I can do to get the data back (damn).

Since I have never experienced this kind of thing before, any advice would be appreciated.

Best Regards,

Faz

Quick update:

I have reattached the battery and no lights flash now. When I plug in the machine, the plug light and battery light come on as normal, but the machine is won't do anything at all. I'm scared it is dead. Damn.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Faz

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.