I have a Lite On sohw-1693sx DVD drive and a Sony CRX230EE/B2 CD drive. I had them both for over six months and they have been working fine. Lately they havent been able to read the disks i put in them. When i go into my computer it doesnt even show the drives, its like the computer doesnt recognized that they are there. They can open and everything but its like its not connected to the computer even though it is. I tried to download the latest drivers but i cant find the right ones. I looked at my device manager and went into the properties of the drives and it says "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)" So if anyone knows why this is happening or know how for the computer to read the drives that would be very helpful. Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

One common cause for that exact problem, and the fix:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q270008/

Although the article pertains to Win 2000, I've seen the problem occur with XP as well; the fix described for Win 2000 works for XP.

Please note that although the article only refers to the "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" entries in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet registry subkey, I've had to apply the fix to the similar entries (if found) in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet00x subkeys as well in order to make it work.

Some people have needed to reboot after deleting the registry entries, others have not.

how do you find the UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters"

how do you find the UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters"

You need to run the Registry Editor (regedit.exe) to gain access to those items, but there are a couple of "fix" files available for this problem which will save you the hassle (and potential danger) of having to manually edit the Registry. Try this fix (it's for XP, but might work on Vista too):

Download xp_cd_dvd_fix.zip.

* Right-click on the file and choose the "Extract all..." option; follow the Wizard's prompts to extract the enclosed xp_cd_dvd_fix.vbs file.

* Double-click on xp_cd_dvd_fix.vbs to run it. If you receive a confirmation or warning message asking if you really want to run the script, choose YES. When the script finishes running, you will get a message saying that it has done so, and that you should reboot.

* Reboot the computer, and then check Device Manager; your drives should be present again.

I ran this fix and I now have my DVD drives back in terms of drive letters in Explorer. I can also now play music and video via Windows Media Player.

BUT... when I try to read the drive directory(s) I get an error message -- Please insert disk...

Thank you for any help you can offer...

Robert

You need to run the Registry Editor (regedit.exe) to gain access to those items, but there are a couple of "fix" files available for this problem which will save you the hassle (and potential danger) of having to manually edit the Registry. Try this fix (it's for XP, but might work on Vista too):

Download xp_cd_dvd_fix.zip.

* Right-click on the file and choose the "Extract all..." option; follow the Wizard's prompts to extract the enclosed xp_cd_dvd_fix.vbs file.

* Double-click on xp_cd_dvd_fix.vbs to run it. If you receive a confirmation or warning message asking if you really want to run the script, choose YES. When the script finishes running, you will get a message saying that it has done so, and that you should reboot.

* Reboot the computer, and then check Device Manager; your drives should be present again.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.