:mad: I've had lots of experience with computers with scomputers and know how to work with them well, but i never worked with SATA hard drive and SATA adapters. When i connect my new SATA ULTRA 16 300GB 16MB CACHE 7200RMP Serial ATA/150 to a SATA to IDE Adapter and i try to install Windows XP Professional, i get the following message.:mad:

Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.
Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.
Setup cannot continue. To quit setup, press F3.

:sad: My new hard drive says it has a RAID ready. How do i solve the problem, and how do i get a Manufacturer-supplied Diagnostic or setup program? HELP PLEASE:sad:

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Windows doesn't recognize your SATA card, so you'll need to load the card's drivers (probably from floppy) at the appropriate point in the Windows installation procedure.

If you give us the exact make and model # of the SATA controller card we can probably give you more specific instructions.

I bought this item on ebay, so i only got one paper, this is all i know, i found this number, dont know what it is though: CK-0001B/C. Features:Flexible with Serial ATA Generation 1, Standard 40 pin ATA port after transforming can connect, Serial ATA (IDE) equipment, Supports Serial ATA data transfer rates up to 150MN/sec.
System Requirements:Microsoft windows 98SE, windows me, windows 2000, and windows xp, can use PATA port.
Specification:ULI M5285 Parrallel ATA-Serial ATA controller, Support Serial ATA Generation 1, transmission rate 1.5Gb/s, Accord Serial ATA 1.0 standard, Receiver support spread spectrum, Accord ATA standard, Compliant with Ultra ATA 133, Types of prts: one S-ATA, one P-AYA, and 4-pin power port.
I dont know much about them, but this is all the information i found on the paper i got with the SATA adapter. Please help.

The "ULI M5285" number is only the identifier for the main controller chip on your card; I'll need at least a brand name for the card itself in order to help you find the right driver software. Look on the card and your paperwork to see if you can determine the card's manufacturer; if you find an actual model name/number, that would be even better.

I found this number on the card, it's CK-0019C.

Good find- the card is made by a Chinese manufacturere named "Sanxi". Unfortunately, their web site is basically horrendous, probably even more so since I'm trying to navigate the English version of it.

I could only find a driver download for the "A" version of that card, but it looks like it should work with all cards that use the ULI M5285 controller chip. The download file is in RAR archive format; you'll need a decompression utility such as WinRAR to "unzip" it. Instructions for creating the driver installation floppy and using that floppy during a Windows XP installation can be found in the README.txt file in the CK-0019A\SATA50XX folder of the driver package.

I've figured out what to do, i just missed a wire i had to add to the adapter, now it works, thanks anyway for taking your time to help me. Thank you.

i just missed a wire i had to add to the adapter...

D-oh! :mrgreen:
Seriously though- glad you found the fix.

I am having the same problem when I am trying to install W2K3 on W2K server. I am just curious to know what was the wire you missed conecting to the adapter. I might be doing the same too!! This is the first time I am playing with a H/W stuff.

I've figured out what to do, i just missed a wire i had to add to the adapter, now it works, thanks anyway for taking your time to help me. Thank you.

I am having the same problem when I am trying to install W2K3 on W2K server. I am just curious to know what was the wire you missed conecting to the adapter. I might be doing the same too!! This is the first time I am playing with a H/W stuff.

:mrgreen: It was the power wire that I missed, I didn't connect the power wire that turned on the adapter. The wire was the same wire that connected the floppy drive, it's a small wire, not very big.:eek: Check around for any empty slots (wire slots) there may need to be a wire connected to it.:!:

:mrgreen: It was the power wire that I missed, I didn't connect the power wire that turned on the adapter. The wire was the same wire that connected the floppy drive, it's a small wire, not very big.:eek: Check around for any empty slots (wire slots) there may need to be a wire connected to it.:!:

I am most certainly sure that I plugged in the power wire.
The problem that I am having is I am not able to figure out if I have to plug in the new drive in the IDE1/IDE2 and if I should consider it as a master/slave!! I plugged it in as a master in IDE1 but the windows set up keeps throwing the same error at me:mad: . Any ideas????

I am most certainly sure that I plugged in the power wire.
The problem that I am having is I am not able to figure out if I have to plug in the new drive in the IDE1/IDE2 and if I should consider it as a master/slave!! I plugged it in as a master in IDE1 but the windows set up keeps throwing the same error at me:mad: . Any ideas????

:cheesy: i was mad too, but me, my dad and my brother (9) were working together to figure it out, we were so :confused: ,my dad and brother dont know much about computers, but they could spot some thigs they thought were wrog, we tried every possible way to connect the hard drive to the sata adapter:lol: . it worked.
1)Get a partner to help you, he/she doesn't have to know anything about computers, they could just stay there to make sure you aren't missing any wires, or anything else.
2)Connect the wires every possible way there is: IDE1+MASTER, IDE1+SLAVE, IDE2+MASTER, IDE2+SLAVE. You can also look in your BIOS for any mistakes.
3)If none if these work, than just send me all the information you have and i'll see what i can do.

P.S. look in the back of your hard drive, you will see a little square that has lots (about 6-8) of little thins that look like needles pointing up, and a little square stuck to them. look at your manual and it will tell you how to set that little square so that your hard drive works, if you set it wrong, sometimes and hard drive will not be as fast, or it will not turn on/work. this is how the back should look ::::. figure out how to put the little square.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.