Hi. After a lightning storm last night (I was unable to wake up quickly enough to turn off my computer) I've been encountering an error similar to the one oulined in this thread:

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread41835.html

But am having a problem with the Windows Setup section. While I can get it to boot from the DELL Windows XP disc, Setup never prompts me to press R. In fact, once I wait for the F6 prompt to pass, it just starts the system. I still get the same blue screen, only minus the unmountable_boot_volume notice and with the new error:

Stop: 0x0000007B (0xf7caf524,0xc0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

Am I missing something re: getting to the necessary point in Setup? Or does my problem require a different approach?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

You do not say which model Dell computer you have. If you can reset BIOS and NVRAM, you should be able to boot from the OS CD, and start Recovery Console. If you can get the Recovery Console to start, run chkdsk /r. That should fix the problem.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.