Quickster777 0 Newbie Poster

Hi everybody...I'm not a big hardware guy, but I'll try my best to explain my dilemma...

I seem to be having a problem with my new 40 pin 250 gig IDE Segate hard drive....Currently I already have a primary Serial ATA only Hard drive which is of course directly hooked to my SATA motherboard plugin..I thenn tried to plug in my slave with the IDE Cable which is also connected to my cdrom drive..

So the setup is as follows:
Primary drive SATA to motherboard..
Slave Drive to IDE cable(middle )
CD-ROM drive (set to master)to IDE cable (closest to the middle plugin..and the other end fo the IDE cable connected directly to the motherboard...

Once my computer continues after ime done with the bios it asks for a boot device and reboot or a boot disk to put into the boot device..

Now I load up my bios and the setttings are as follows:
PRIMARY IDE MASTER: Sony cd-rom drive
PRIMARY IDE SLAVE: slave hard drive (40 pin ide)
3rd IDE master: Primaary hard drive (sata)
3rd IDE slave: not detected
And so on...

Now I assume I have to make my slave hard drive into the 3rd IDE slave..but how do I do this? I've tried connecting the Slave HD along with the cdrom to the sata ports onthe board through the IDE cable and that does not work...I tried a second IDE cable seperately just connecting the slave drive to the sata part of the motherboard...none of which seems to work..
I've tried alot of different combinations of IDE cable shufflings but nothing seems to work...:confused:

Do I have to change the jumpers on the slave hard drive to something else besides no jumpers on it for it to be a slave?:rolleyes:

Thanks