here is a simple question. i have 2 procesors for my laptop. currently my dell inspiron is sporting a 1.8/512 p4 with a gig of ram. is switching to a newer but slightly slower 1.7 with a 2 gig l2 cache a smart thing to do if its free since i got the cpu from a broken laptop for free. everything fits and is tested. question is will there be a difference in performance. im using the laptop as a photo editing/ music playing, work computer that traks me on the road with gps integrated into it. im a truck driver. battery life is of no concearn, mostly powered threw a car jack. any sugestions?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

here is a simple question. i have 2 procesors for my laptop. currently my dell inspiron is sporting a 1.8/512 p4 with a gig of ram. is switching to a newer but slightly slower 1.7 with a 2 gig l2 cache a smart thing to do if its free since i got the cpu from a broken laptop for free. everything fits and is tested. question is will there be a difference in performance. im using the laptop as a photo editing/ music playing, work computer that traks me on the road with gps integrated into it. im a truck driver. battery life is of no concearn, mostly powered threw a car jack. any sugestions?

are you sure that processor will work in your laptop? If it does, i would think that you might gain a little bost in performance, but nothing to go through the trouble of taking apart a laptop for.

You should gain a little bit with a 2MB cache vs a 512k cache, I would verify that the motherboard supports the newer chip.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.