Hi, I came here in search of help with my Dell Demension E510. (Windows XP) When I turn it on it makes a kind of grinding sound, and wont boot. There are the numbers '3' and '4' illuminated on the front of the tower. (I'm not sure if they were there before.) I can't remember if it beeps or not.
This problem occured after a BIOS upgrade. Can someone pleeease help?

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

3 4 generally denotes a failure of the memory subsystem. Try opening the cover and reseat the memory modules, cleaning them if there's any dirt. If this doesn't help, get back and we'll get this sorted out.

Cheers

first, thanks for your help. now, could you maybe explain how and where to 'reseat the memory module'? im not so apt with the inner workings,

oh.... well if you mean the SSD RAM, then I do know what you're talking about, I recently added some memory. so I should be able to find it... i hope thats what you meant,

thx

That's exactly what I meant. Since you say you added more memory to it, I'd say either that or one of the older ones have become dislodged. Try resetting all the memory cards and see if this fixes the issue

take out all the recently added memory and try it with just the origianl stuff. I own a 5150 and it refuses to boot unless i use hign quality memory of the exact speed it requires

I have a tendency to obsess about my computer settings, and this problem occured after doing some upgrades and whatnot. So I figured I must've done something wrong. I'll try and reseat the memory and I'll see what happens. Could someone suggest the next step, if this one doesn't work?

is it still under dell warranty?

your screwed othereise if it turns ot to be something major as only dell PSUs and motherboards fit into dell cases.

I have a tendency to obsess about my computer settings, and this problem occured after doing some upgrades and whatnot. So I figured I must've done something wrong. I'll try and reseat the memory and I'll see what happens. Could someone suggest the next step, if this one doesn't work?

I suspect that removing your added RAM to see if it's the problem as suggested should put you on the right track, but just what upgrades have you added lately?

ok...... I cracked it open and I reseated all three of the modules. (By the way, I learned that the 'grinding' sounds were the bios beeps, heh) I cleaned out any dust taht was inside, and it still beeps, just as it did before. It beeps four (rather irregular) times. They don't seem to be beeps and pauses, but more like random annoying beeps. Anyway, nonetheless, there's four beeps. And to try and answer your questions:

jbennet: No, unfortunately it's no longer under warranty. and the PC was working just fine for a while with the added RAM.

dcc: I'm not sure which BIOS upgrade it was exactly, I've frustrated myself so much with the darn thing, I couldn't be sure.

So..... at this point Ive reseated all the modules and it didn't work, now maybe I'll try to just put in the original one...... only I don't know which one it is.

Thank all of you for your help so far. Got anything else? heh. (This loaner PC is terrible; can't be upgraded, etc.)

thx, T

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim5150/en/sm/tshoot1.htm

^^^Here is a webpage explaining the bios lights. On my machine there is a '3' and a '4' illuminated on the front of the tower, along with a lil cylinder looking shape. They say that means: "Memory modules are detected, but a memory failure has occurred.

• If you have two or more memory modules installed, remove the modules, reinstall one module, and then restart the computer. If the computer starts normally, reinstall an additional module. Continue until you have identified a faulty module or reinstalled all modules without error.
  • If available, install properly working memory of the same type into your computer.
  • If the problem persists, contact Dell (see your computer Owner's Manual for information about how to contact Dell)."

:shrug:

ok, I've tried every configuration of the modules I can think of. First of course, the Dell suggested method. Slot 1, then 2. and nothing. I still get the beeps. I'm about to throw this thing against the wall. (not really)

sighs.

The BIOS flash that you did may have had a problem.

yeah it seems so... Can anyone suggest anything further? Guess I'lll just try some more with it...... thx.

does it boot?
if so run memtest86 to identify ram errors

it does not boot

ahh well your in a bit of a pickle :(

pc repair shop?

no it still wont work....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.