Hey guys,

I'm looking to purchase a new computer, and I was wondering what card would be best. My options are these two:

The 768MB nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX
or
The 256MB nVidia Quadro FX 3450

I'm going to be using this PC primarily for compiling program and schooling but I do want a nice card for gaming. I know the GeForce series is engineered for gaming and the Quadro is for CAD work. But will there be a big difference? The price is about the same. Which would be the best buy for gaming performance?

=)

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

if they are both pci express, and you have 2 pci express slots,( check this by using the pc wizard program, free on cpuid.com) Just use both cards( I am not experienced with this. so it might burn up everything.)
The quattro card: Use both cards in sli mode: 2x pci express slots required.
The Geforce: If 2x slots, then use in sli mode to get the best gaming experience ever.

If only one slot, id say go with the 8800gtx!

you cant sli between 2 diferent ranges of card such as the quatro and gefore

go for the geforce

unfortunately the only option is a firegl or quadro. Dell won't allow a gaming graphics card in a business workstation.

:(

why not?

i got a dimension and it does

Dimension is the home desktop series. Precision is the business workstation series, which is what I'm getting.

we got optiplexes in college and theyve all got geforce 6 series graphics cards

Dell is weird...

What it is, is optiplex and dimension are both considered home and home office, but show up in the small business section as well.

Actually I think only workstation they sell is the precision series. I'm not sure what the big deal is, but my Dell Rep is telling me his hands are tied on this one.

:mad:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.