Hello,

I recently bought a new video card and i have a serious problem with it. It is a brand new EVGA GeForce 7800 gs 256 agp oc editon. I connected it all right to an exclusive 4-pin molex plug straight from the psu and with nothing else on it. Problem is that I can’t get my pc to boot correctly, it often boots-up, operates for 5-10 seconds and then the system crashes with an immediate distortion of what the screen shows at the time and nothing else happening onwards, just a system crash. Sometimes it even crashes and freezes when calculating the memory at the beginning. When that occurs and I switch it off, the pc won’t boot-up at all for a period of 10-minutes or so and some times when I try to boot it up I get the whistling alert from the motherboard that corresponds to the video card not being powered at all, even If I have all the connections from the power supply correctly.

System setup is all ok and i checked around many forums with everyone suggesting that my psu is not powerful enough. However, evga customer support told me that it should be sufficient.

POWER SUPPLY

CHIEFTEC
GPS-550AB A (ACTIVE PFC)

Rated Power: 550w with +12V carrying 18A and 216W

After all this though, i found out that this power cable here:

http://www.h3hardware.com.ar/NuevosProductos/VGA/eVGA%20Geforce%207800GS%20256Mb%20AGP/eVGA%20256-A8-N506-AX/cds.jpg

was missing from my package, even if it was sealed with the safety tickets, both sides!!!!!!! THANKS A LOT EVGA ! ****!

Which one's that exactly? I have to get one today from a pc store, if i am lucky to spot one of those!

Is it the pic connector (6pin) which has 3x12v + 3xground? Is this what causes the problem? 'Cause i had the card connected directly to a 4-pin molex which goes up to the power supply. What's the difference between the two (if any) in regards to the power being sent to the card?

Thanks a lot,
D

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

There should not only be a voltage difference on the connectors, but also a rated current difference as well. This can result in some big differences in power delivery.

There should not only be a voltage difference on the connectors, but also a rated current difference as well. This can result in some big differences in power delivery.

Hello ,the posts you are responding to are over a year old ,this site need more helpers like you ,but you might want to try helping non answered post that are a little newer ,just a suggestion!

I know, I know. But next time someone searches, and find a thread that looks like something they can use at least there will be something to use.

I just hate getting a thread that looks exactly like what I need, and then there is nothing there except the problem.

I know, I know. But next time someone searches, and find a thread that looks like something they can use at least there will be something to use.

I just hate getting a thread that looks exactly like what I need, and then there is nothing there except the problem.

good point ,keep on a posting!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.