My friend gave me this old motherboard and I'm trying to find out which pins I need to connect to the power LED, power switch and reset switch wires. The mb does not have the make & model on it, he can't find its manual and I can't find it on the ASUS web site. So I'm just looking to identify it right now.

It's got a 400 fsb, 4 DIMM slots, AGP, PCI x2, PCI-E(?), socket 478, VIA VT8233 chipset. My friend thought it was an 845 but they all appear to have 800 fsb.

Here it is. Can anyone help?
It shouldn't ask for you to login but sometimes it does anyway. Please let me know if it does.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j222/JeffsFriends/Motherboard2.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j222/JeffsFriends/Motherboard.jpg

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

is it an ATI board maybe?
there usually red

the board's model no. is usually at the top of the first screen at boot time.

the board's model no. is usually at the top of the first screen at boot time.

He needs the pin-out for the header, this is why he is trying to identify the board.

Hi,what DimaYasny said Is right it is made by PCChips, and they usually put their model numbers on the board somewhere.

Quite often it is between the AGP slot and the first PCI slot ( but I cant see cos you have a graphics card in place )

The pin outs for the power - reset & led's are usually to the bottom right corner on most Mobos.

But from what I can see on your board they seem to be just underneath the end of the bottom PCI slot .
and they should go like this.....
you should have two rows of four pins
Power switch connects to top row right hand pair
Reset Switch conects to bottom row right hand pair
Power LED connects to top row left hand pair
HD LED connects to bottom row left hand pair
Hope this is helpful
Dave

Fine, so it's a PCCHIPS board, now which of a series of 3-4 is it?
I have a chips board here and PCCHIPS is notorious for NOT putting the mod./ver. info on the board, you only get that at boot time by reading the BIOS info at the bottom. connect nearly everything and temporarily short the first two of a series of pins in parallel to boot.

I'm not gonna post a pic, but there's NONE on this one. xcell2000 is all it sez.

used to be that the same bios chip was used on a variety of boards. more recently tho the bios is usually board model and ver. specific.
search the numbers off of the bios chip, you'll have to remove the small square sticker to read them. DON'T remove the bios from the board, the bios is sensitive to the static charge that you hold in you which will corrupt if not destroy the flashed info in it.
the bios chip is the large IC just left of your two PCI slots.

That's an older board...good luck if you can't find any alphanumerical information on the board. I would start googling anything printed on it, there is usually something somewhere on the board.

That's an older board...good luck if you can't find any alphanumerical information on the board. I would start googling anything printed on it, there is usually something somewhere on the board.

got 2nd hand the xcel named board a yr. or so ago. at the time there was about zip info on it. searching "Xcel2000" eventually led me to PCCHIPS, unfortunately the bios info "M741-LMRT-H" is a designation PCCHIPS does not, and, as best I can tell, has never used. go figure. the *.rom/*.bin file that the techs there indicated to be used resulted in an error "file too big". the "help" line that PCCHIPS had open went dead after being so informed. presently it's moot point, the board's effectively dead. in desperation the bios was flashed with the wrong file.
thanks for the heads up anyway.:cool:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.