Specs: Windows XP SP2, 3.4 gHz Intel 4, plenty of HD space (2 HDs).

I'm not sure what is going on but about two months ago my computer stared to slow down significantly. At first I thought it was just a program I was running (Sibelius 4) but then I noticed it happening with other programs too. Here's what's going on. If I start up my computer it runs great for a few minutes or so but then suddenly it's like my CPU starts to work really hard and everything slows down. I've been through everything (spyware, viruses, extra programs I don't need, I've defraged, cleaned my registry, changed all my settings so windows will run as fast as possible etc). Nothing seems to work so my question is, could this be a hardware issue? Oh, another thing I definately should mention. When my computer slows down a simple restart doesn't solve the problem. I actually have to turn the machine all the way off (including the surge protector) to get it to run fast again. Anyone have a clue what could be going on? I'm lost here,

Oh, another thing that may or may not be related but I'll ask anyway. Sometimes if my computer freezes and I have to manually restart it my settings are changed (as in windows in all pretty again, I have it set for best performance). Does anyone know why this might be happening? Anything would help.

Sorry this is so long...

Nick

PS I know ONE of my problems is that I'm running windows...:sad:

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

By the way, 1 Gig of RAM

overheating maybe?

When you say that you settings are changed are you referring to the settings in the BIOS? If it is change the CMOS battery.

Your problem could be your RAM or PSU. You could download and run Memtest 86 to check out your RAM.

As for the PSU, if you know how use a voltmeter and are comfortable poking around inside the case you could check the voltages of the different rails. With the power off, either by the switch on the back of the PSU or unplugged not the switch on the case, disconnect the 20/24 pin PSU connector. In the bundle you find one green wire, place a jumper between that green wire and any black wire, this bypasses the motherboard. Turn on the PSU either by its' switch or plug it in.

To test the different rails you will need to know the different color codes and their associated voltages, you can get those here.

So I got a program to check the heat and it says my CPU is 90 Celcius. I don't know much but that seems really high to me. It is a Pentium 4 3.4 gHz and that tempurature was taken when it was idle.

What do you think?

What program did you get to check the temps.?

Everest Home Edition is pretty accurate in reporting what is being seen in the BIOS, how ever accurate they are.

90 degree C is like 194 degrees F, that should be shutting down the computer in a hurry. have you checked to make sure that the case fan and the CPU heat sink fan are running. Have you cleaned out the computer recently, accumulated dust on the CPU heat sink will cause overheating. Also check the intake to make sure it's no restricted, mine gets filled with cat hair. You should look at the HSF on the CPU and make sure that it is seated properly.

90 is a lot it should be 40-60

I got a can of air and cleaned out the fans and now it's running like brand new. Thanks everyone.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.