Just rebuilt my Dell Laptop

Its an OLD Latitude C400

As it was given to me, i never had the recovery disk, so just rebuilt it with a normal XP disc.

All of a sudden, the graphics were Naff and the Wireless PCMCIA Card was not recognised.

Got the graphics sorted in the end but just cant get the card to work.

It makes the noise when inserting it and taking it out, but does not try to install any drivers.

Spoke to dell and they suggested going to the intel site and downloading the chipset driver. Could not find it.

Found the driver for the card, but that does not seem to work

Any ideas ???

Thx

Paul

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Go to dells web site and get your drivers you will have to have the service tag # on the bottom.

You need to get the chipset driver maybe Bios update.

The reason it isn't working is you don't have a PCMCIA controller.XP Home edition doesn't have the extensive drivers as Pro.

I am using XP Pro

I spoke to Dell and they told me the chipset driver is on the Intel site. I could not find the relevant driver which is a painus in the anus.

Beginning to wish i hadnt started this

Thx for the reply

Paul

Look on the bottom of the laptop and see what the service tag # is and go to dells site or post the # and i will find them.

THank you, i will do that tonight

Hello,

My name is Richard; I work for Dell's Online Community Outreach here in Round Rock, Texas. I wanted to post to your thread with some information that may assist you. If you go to this link http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&ServiceTag=&SystemID=LAT_PNT_P3_C400&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=, you will be able to locate all the drivers related to you C400.

One other thing to keep in mind, it is sometimes best installing the drivers first then install the PCMCIA card into the slot. It is possible that the system can't even see the card and thus why Windows can't detect it properly. To check this go to the device manager, look to the bottom "other devices" category. Look for PCI device, while the card is in the system. Then do this again when the card is outside the system. This will help you determine if the PCMCIA slot is working even if the drivers are not installed.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I can be reached at customer_advocate@dell.com, place attention Richard in the subject line.

Regards,
Richard B
Dell Online Community Outreach

I cant find the TAG number anywhere. I have looked and looked to no avail.

Any ideas how else i can get the TAG number ?

Cheers

Paul

it should be shown in the BIOS, otherwise its a black sticker

Okay, I found the TAG number in the BIOS, so thx for that, but can't see any chipset driver and I am still without wireless.

I might just go and buy a USB wireless stick

Any other ideas please ?

Paul

Make sure that the Wireless card is enabled in BIOS or the PCI slot is on. Could also be duplicate drivers. Try removing all of the PCI and Network adapters from Device manager in safemode and then resart the system.
Hope that helps

Hello Paul,

It appear that this issue has not been resolved for you as of yet. Let’s start with the chipset driver. There is none as the driver is naively intergraded (supported) inside Windows XP. So, you have that part taken care of already.

The PCMCIA adapter; what kind is it and do you know for sure that it is functional? The reason why I ask is that this system has the ability to hold an internal Mini-PCI card, which runs about $25 to $55 dollars. It is far better option to have that then a card sticking out the side of the computer. On the bottom of the system there is a removable cover that contains the Mini-PCI housing. This link shows what I am referring to, http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/latc400/en/sm/wirelesa.jpg.

Another thing to keep in mind, the PCMCIA side slot can not be disabled in the bios. However, an internal Mini-PCI card can be disabled in the bios. You can view this by going to page 4, in the bios.

I hope this helps you.

Regards,
Richard B

Richard

THx for your help on this matter

The PCMCIA card used to work before i rebuilt the machine

When i put it in, it is recognised as an Ethernet Controller in Device manager and that dissapears when i take the card out.

As it is getting that far, does that mean i just need the driver for the card ?
If that is the case, I have that driver but does not seem to make any difference !!

Thx

Paul

Paul,

Did you install the driver for this PCMCIA card, when the card was in or out of the slot? I would suggest uninstalling the driver in the add/remove programs, and then try to reinstall it without the card in the slot.

From what you described, the card should work but it seems like Windows is not attaching the driver to the PCMCIA card. You may want to check the manufacture website of the network card, in case they have some kind of special installation steps.
Reply back with your results.

Regards,

Richard B

Paul have you tried:

Removing all Network adapters in Safe mode with out networking under device manager and remove all of your network adapters under the control panel under Network adapters? It sounds to me if there is a Mini card added to the MB and you have added your own card that there are duplicated adapters and controllers in the OS.

Be sure before you remove the adapters in control panel and device manager besure that the Mini Adapter that Richard was talking about is Disabled.

Hope that helps

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.