i am looking at a new video card and i see that some are designed for vista and some for xp. does that mean that it wont work if i get a vista card and try using it with xp? i have no immediate plans to update to vista, but if i spend $300 on a card i would like it to be around for a while. do i need to buy one dedicated to xp or would the vista card work but just not to potential with an xp system? or would the xp card work with the vista system? i am looking at a
EVGA 320-P2-N815-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card
which says it supports xp or mce
or a

EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card
which says it supports vista

and this is for a computer that has windows xp home
at present
appreciate any suggestions
thanks
danelb

It doesn't really matter, most video cards, monitors and anything else that can be attached to a computer say that they support vista because it makes them look special.
the 8800 cards u are looking at support Dx10 and other 7 series and i dont know what ati cards only support direct x 9, the only drawback about having the 8800 on xp is that you cant get DX10 on xp. besides that you will only probably get better performance on xp because more computing power will be dedicated to the game or w/e rather than the flashy transparent start menus.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.