Ok so my computer decided to die on me. it was running windows vista ultimate, but it was upgrade only so i have to install xp first. For some reason i cant get xp to work. I have burned a xp cd a few times and it works on my other computer. I do see the 'press any key to boot from cd' but then it goes blank. What is even wierder is that i can install linux and even the vista installer will start, but xp and server 03 wont show up at all. has anyone seen this before?

specs: msi kn9-neo motherboard
4 gigs ram
amd athlon processor
western digital sata 250gb hdd
256mb visiontec graphics card
2 cd/dvd drives

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

If you have another operating machine, you could try to bypass the initial phase of windows installation (one that requires booting from CD). What you can do is:

- disconnect the HD on your 2nd machine and connect the HD from the 1st one in it.
- start installing windows until it reboots. Before it continues installing Windows, shut down your 2nd machine and reconnect the HDs way they were before.
- now your 1st machine should continue with installation.

I think you were using a sp slipstreamed cd. Try a non-sp slipstreamed WinXP cd. Install sp afterwards.

I think you were using a sp slipstreamed cd. Try a non-sp slipstreamed WinXP cd. Install sp afterwards.

what is slipstream? I have never heard that term before.

If you have another operating machine, you could try to bypass the initial phase of windows installation (one that requires booting from CD).

this is my only computer that uses sata drives

is there something i can do with ghostcast?

Couple of possible causes:

- Copy that you burned (legality?.. hmm...) is not bootable. (boot sector isn't 1 to 1 copy)

- I'm not sure how it actually behaves, but pre-installed version of Windows XP will refuse to install if the hardware configuration is too different from the original machine.
I'm guessing that your other machine, which doesn't support SATA drives, came with OEM copy of windows.

- Your optical drive needs the firmware update. If the model/manufacturer of CDR that you burned the windows onto is newer (model age, not actual disc) than your burner, then it could give you problems with reading/burning with that disc model.... or you can use some well known and established CDR manuf./model that were around before your optical drive model.

- Your optical drive is dying

- Cable is cracked or the pins are bent or broken.

- Your mobo BIOS needs update - could be a bug in the BIOS or a compatibility issue with your optical drive

- Your motherboard is partially fried - All NT-based Windows setup programs are particularly sensitive when it comes to IDE (or SATA) controller. I have experienced similar thing with NT 3.51 back in the old days. Tried to install it on my old 486, but failed with BSOD every time, while Win 95 worked as usual on the same hardware. Couple of months late my IDE controller died. Luckily for me, mobo didn't have integrated IDE controller, so the replacement of the IDE card was simple and cheap. Afterwards Windows NT 3.51 installed withou problems.
Your cheaper version of the fix would be IDE card. (requires disabling on-board IDE controller)

I have no idea why its not working. i installed xp a few months ago so it should work again. Anyway i found this thing called linux xp and i'm giving it a go. if i like it more, i am willing to be rid of vista.

Is it a modded linux or modded XP?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.