Hi guys,
I have just registered and finding a bit tricky to get the button if I want to post my message. Any help!! How do I post?

I have a compaq pentium II that has stopped booting.
Initially, I had to press power button twice or three times to boot. Now, no matter how many times I restart it, it won't boot at all although lights are on. As in when u press power button, it behaves as if to start then stops there with two indicators on. I tried to remove memory no beeps on boot, I disconnected HDD no beeps on boot, I tried monitor no beeps, so I just don't understand the problem. Any help??
PII, HDD 6G, RAM 128, OS WinXP.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I Had the same problem with alsmost the same specs and i had disconnect the memory, hard disk and floppy drive from the motherboard dusted it and then placed the memory only to see if it will work afterward reconnceted them and worked fine.

I did the same but on switching on, the two power indicators come on and lights continuously thereafter. This is what happens when I press power on.
1) The motherboard LED indicator lights properly.
2) On power on, the first processor cracking sound is heard and then everything stops there. No processing continues. Even if you remove HDD, nothing happens. U don't get any error!!!
3) Could it be a motherboard problem or processor itself?

Your helpwill be invaluable!!!

I did the same but on switching on, the two power indicators come on and lights continuously thereafter. This is what happens when I press power on.
1) The motherboard LED indicator lights properly.
2) On power on, the first processor cracking sound is heard and then everything stops there. No processing continues. Even if you remove HDD, nothing happens. U don't get any error!!!
3) Could it be a motherboard problem or processor itself?

Your helpwill be invaluable!!!

Then you must clean your processor. Open you colling fan remove the processor then clean it afterwards clean the fan and dust the heat sink of any dust i think you have a overheat problem.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.