Hi Guys.

I'm having a problem with a SATA HDD and would appreciate some advice.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-8SQ800 and is SATA capable.

I was running a couple of IDE drives with XP installed on the C:. A couple of days ago my C: developed a problem so I went and bought a WD200 SATA HDD.

I fdisk'd and formatted the new drive with NTFS and if I go into disk manager the HDD is there, assigned D:, active and healthy.

I want to do a clean install of XP onto the SATA drive but it is not being seen by the XP set up.

I have tried disconnecting the IDE drive and I have set the BIOS settings to enable SATA.

However, I just cant get the XP set up to see the SATA HDD.

Any advice would be greatly received.

Thanks in advance

Davva

on you motherboard disk there should be drivers for that sata drive to be install during the early part of installing winxp ,by hitting f6 when prompted ,watch for it early in the install.you will need to copy the drivers from the motherboard disk to a floppy if you computer has a floppy drive.as to where the drivers are on the motherboard disk see you boards manual .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.