help me please!
somehow i found that there is a password in the bios and i did never put that password and nobody touched my laptop. so i found a program to reset the password and after the reset it said that something ni the bios changed and asked if i want to load defualts or enter the bios so i pressed to enter and it again asked for a password. than i went to reset the password again and after the reset the power goes on and the led of the HD flashes few secs and thats all! the screen doesnt show anything! can you help me somehow? its toshiba A205 laptop

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

You'll need to flash your BIOS. Here is the self-extracting zip archive that contains both windows-based and floppy-based flashing utility and newest BIOS. You need to make a floppy, insert it in your laptop and boot. It will flash your bios and reboot back to normal.

but i dont have a flopy in my notbook. and i cant boot it just doesnt boot!

Hmm... there must be a solution for the floppy booting for flashing the BIOS, otherwise the manufacturer wouldn't offer such flashing utility. I guess you would need external floppy drive. PCMCIA or USB.

Anyway, to explain the situation, BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) is program stored in a EPROM chip that has primary function to connect motherboard with peripherals (VGA, Floppy, PCI cards, IDE controller, ISA - old school cards). It is designed in such way that Floppy and ISA cards are universal, and that is stored in the first portion of BIOS. Every desktop and laptop has the same first portion. Goal is to make the system somewhat bootable for re-flash in case of bad flash. Having BIOS password removed is very similar procedure. Your BIOS was flashed, but only a small portion of it (apparently wrong portion) that stores the password setting and/or password itself. Your BIOS is apparently corrupted beyond normal boot, so flashing bios via floppy is the only option that doesn't include technicians that charge $$$ for services. I suggest that you get hold of a floppy drive and try flashing the BIOS that I posted.

Most of the BIOS chips are replaceable, and can be ordered online. You will have to contact either AWARD or the laptop manufacturer for the chip replacement. I remember the price of $20 for the chip, but you will have to check that yourself.

so it should work automaticaly? cause i cant see anything on the screen. if yes i will try to get a flopy drive

And you won't see anything on the screen until the BIOS is flashed and laptop rebooted. It will be done automatically.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.