I recently got 2 brand new 1gb 553mhz sticks of ram. when I try to put one of them into my first slot, it works fine, but if i try put a stick in the second slot, it stays blank and it beeps. the beeps have about a second interval in between each, and this happens 5 times. then about 3 seconds gap, then another 5 beeps, after that its a continuous beeping...

Ive tried each stick in the first slot and both work, meaning the ram is fine!
Ive also tried having one solely in the second slot, but still no luck. The only way it can work is with only 1gb in the first slot :S big problem!

Im not sure if theres something Im missing out?

Or can anyone tell me my problem?

I have a AMD athlon 2 x 4000+ cpu.
with a ATI radeon x1800xl card.

motherboard is ECS geforce6100sm-m socket am2

Please can anyone help? :)

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

not sure if it matters but the board is lists as using DDR2-400/667/800 memory,you bought 533 might make a difference !!also check ot the below copy /past from a site i found when searching you mothereboard name !!

It has two DDR-DIMM sockets, accepting up to 16 GB of DDR2-400/667/800 memory. Please pay very close attention here. ECS should have used different colors on the memory sockets to let you know that this motherboard supports DDR dual channel feature. You need to install two identical memory modules in order to achieve the maximum performance this motherboard can provide.

Of course people that buy a socket AM2 motherboard knows that the CPU memory controller is capable of running under dual channel mode, but using the same color on both sockets may lead users to think that this motherboard uses single channel mode. Several users may install only one memory module on this motherboard because of this, reducing the PC performance.

So with this motherboard you need to always use two identical memory modules in order to use dual channel feature, which increases the system performance.

hehe my ram is exactly the same, bought as pack.

Dead ram slot?

Does your machine have a max ram limit?

Hehe the ram limit apparently is 16gb.

If the slot was dead wouldnt the pc still boot up only using the one stick of ram in?

yes, you just wouldnt get the benefit of dual channel (increased speed)

maybe a ram setting in the bios, some boards need to be set for dual channel ,

where abouts in the bios? and would it beep if i hadnt set it to dual?

where abouts in the bios? and would it beep if i hadnt set it to dual?

read you motherboard manual

I read it, nothing about having to set to dual!

no more suggestions? :(

No more suggestions? :(

No more suggestions? :(

you could try calling tech support for the motherboard ,ph:# should be on the back page of manual

Maybe your motherboard does not support dual channel with two identical ram sticks which have more than 1.8 ram voltage. So it beeps when the two dimm slots are filled with sticks with unsupported voltage. Check the ram voltage of your new sticks.

hmmm, surely if that was the case I could just have one stick in the "faulty" slot?

hmmm, surely if that was the case I could just have one stick in the "faulty" slot?

so did you call tech support !!

hmmm if you feel that it was not the case the problem now lies on the memory controller of the motherboard. Replace your board or let your system run in single channel mode.

Havn't called tech support yet no,
I was hoping I wouldnt have to replace it :/ its new lol.

Havn't called tech support yet no,
I was hoping I wouldnt have to replace it :/ its new lol.

lol

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.