Hello there

My monitor only displays an image for a few minutes (if at all) and then freezes and then says 'no signal' and switches off.

I don't have much hardware knowledge, but assume this may be something to do with overheating, the video board or cooling fan?

I don't know how to check or locate these parts. Sorry to be vague. I have a HP Pavilion
t340.

Any advice would be appreciated !

Thanks
Joanna:confused:

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

ps, it has a 7 - in - 1 graphics card, if that helps, and is approx 4 years old.

Thanks again

Well "no signal" on a the monitor would point to either a bad connection, or that the gfx card overheats and the system shuts down. To find out what gfx card you have simply open up the side of your case and look for a card where you plug your monitor into, if this card turns out to be very big covering the entire side of your computer showing that you have motherboard graphics. Normally on the video card (gfx card) it would say who makes it and what it is. Such as: ATi Radeon X300SE, for example. While your have your computer open give it a good clean, because a large build up of dust can suffocate your computer and cause an overheating issue.

Well "no signal" on a the monitor would point to either a bad connection, or that the gfx card overheats and the system shuts down. To find out what gfx card you have simply open up the side of your case and look for a card where you plug your monitor into, if this card turns out to be very big covering the entire side of your computer showing that you have motherboard graphics. Normally on the video card (gfx card) it would say who makes it and what it is. Such as: ATi Radeon X300SE, for example. While your have your computer open give it a good clean, because a large build up of dust can suffocate your computer and cause an overheating issue.

Thank you Serunson

I haven't opened it up yet (just read that I can do more damage!) but have found docs that say it's an ATI Radeon 9200

Joanna

As long as you don't open it when the power is on! Opening up the machine is a simple and straight forward process. As long as you don't cause static (recreate this by rubbing a balloon on your head, that is static). Static is deadly to computers, so please get yourself some anti-static gear (anti-static wristband, and a mat or two to place removed components on). Does the computer totally shut down when the no signal message appears on the monitor, or is it just the monitor keeps showing "no signal" ?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.