hello
added a new hard drive
had problems with nero incd deselected incd
made startup diskette because old master harddrive was getting full
hard drive got full and now the whole thing is wierded out - it runs, but the monitor has everything about twice as big as it should be, like in safe mode without the "safemode" in the corners.
this is a 5 year old compaq presario with amd k6 processor, with a cdburner, 284 ram, new 80 gig hard drive in the slave position, an original master drive with 4.3 gigs. recently signed up for dsl
which is what necessitated the new drive. I have a compaq restore disc. can i just reposition the drives so the 80 gig is in the master position and the old one is a slave and then run the restore cd?
why is the monitor freaked out?
also the opera browser won't load

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

What I would do is set the 80 gig up as master and install a fresh copy of the OS on it. Then, with the 4.3 gig drive as slave, I'd make a directory and copy the contents of the drive in to that directory. (Go watch Baseball while waiting or something.) When done, remove the 4.3 gig drive from the computer and put it someplace safe. (I like to put it in the case of an another computer...and use it.)

After that, you'll have to install all your programs from scratch, but doing it this way is worth the hassle. You don't get migratory problems, and have a clean registry. You've also got your old drive's contents in a directory of its own so you can get your wall paper and stuff.

As for your screen being twice as big, I need more information to help. Right click on the desktop, go to properties, and look under the settings tab. What is the "screen size" slider set at? Also, what does it say the monitor/graphics card combo is? (Default monitor on Standard VGA adapter, for example...)

What is the model number of the Compaq Presario please? I've a Presario 7400 here, and the Restore CD will not work on anything but the original hard drive ;)

You've obviously got some severe system corruption, and would probably benefit from using the restore CD on that system. I've already made sugestions for using your new hard drive in your other topic. Could you please indicate which topic you would like to continue with, as it is too confusing to have two concurrent topics, both basically about the same thing ;)

does your resolution for your monitor reset everytime you reboot?

We need more info:

--> what kind of video card do you have
--> driver version of the video card

does your resolution for your monitor reset everytime you reboot?

We need more info:

--> what kind of video card do you have
--> driver version of the video card

The problem occured while the computer was in the process of struggling to recognize an 80 gig drive (new) - the video display settings were all fouled up apparently the result of a freaked out computer. the original problem was resolved by placing a jumper on the right side of the jumper block to cause the computer to see a30 gig drive. the display problem itself was resolved by resetting those parameters

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.