Ok, I have all my hardware stuff hooked up to standard ide cables

ide-1 has my hardrive to my cd-rom
ide - 2 has my cd-rw and my 2nd cd-rom

my question is, can i put a 2nd hard drive on SATA 1 or SATA 2 ? and have it as a 2nd drive? which exactly do i need to do?

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

You've got three CD-ROM drives? Why?

You can put a second drive on either chain (ide1 or ide2), but you have to remove one of the drives to do it. Unlike SCSI, IDE only supports 2 devices on a chain.

1. You can only use SATA hard drives with SATA1 and SATA2.

2. You have too many CD drives. You only need the CDRW. Even having a CD-ROM in addition to that is a 'luxury', useful only for copying CDs 'on the fly'. (I never copy CDs that way, you get better copies if you do both Read and Write operations with the burner ;))

IDE1 should have your system hard drive as Master and your second hard drive as Slave. IDE2 should have your burner as Master, and your CD-ROM as slave if you decide to include it.

ok, maybe my question was misunderstood.. i got 2 standard ide slots , and i have 2 standard sata slots, i want my 2 cdrom drives ide 2, and i want my hard drive on ide 1 with my other cd-rom, i want to know if i can put a 2nd hard drive on a sata 1 slot, since they arnt being used... can i do that?

ok, maybe my question was misunderstood.. i got 2 standard ide slots , and i have 2 standard sata slots, i want my 2 cdrom drives ide 2, and i want my hard drive on ide 1 with my other cd-rom, i want to know if i can put a 2nd hard drive on a sata 1 slot, since they arnt being used... can i do that?

your question was answered, it was answerd by catweazle, you can only put a satadrive on a sata cable.

i want to know if u can run ide 1 ide 2 sata 1 and sata 2 all at the same time

Try it and see. Hook everything up correctly, and the worst that can happen is it won't work.

execpt i wont have any use for a new drive

execpt i wont have any use for a new drive

then why ask if it will work if you dont need the use for a new drive?

Yes. it will.

Could you please tell us why on Earth you need two CD-ROMs and a CD burner as well? I would seriously like to know, as I've never come across a situation that would require such a configuration.

thanks cat, finaly someone doesnt sound stupid trying to be a smart*** and doing a s**** job at it..

commented: being a jerk about not getting the answers you want will get you know where on this board. +0

Crazy_M, that criticism of people who have answered is unwarranted.

You've not stated your question clearly to start with, the question itself, about a configuration which would need an additional (SATA) drive has been followed by a comment that you have no need for an extra drive, and in any case the answer was given in an early post in the topic, as has been mentioned.

Further to that, my own quite seriously put question hasn't been answered by yourself anyway.

finaly someone doesnt sound stupid trying to be a smart*** and doing a s**** job at it.

It could be claimed that there has only really been one person doing that in the discussion.

commented: stood up for the fact that he was out of line and still put up with him long enough to get him the info he wanted. a perfect example of a good mod. +1

Crazy-M

Don't understand why no-one read your question, it was pretty straight forward and specific.

In answer, you can add a SATA drive when you have both your IDE cables in use, providing
1. Your motherboard allows it, this will be confirmed in the manual. I have a Asus P4P800S and this says in the manual that you can add a SATA drive when all IDE ports are full.
2. The manual also specifies that it will only work if you are using Win2K or Win XP providing the XP has at least SP1 installed.

Hope this answers the question.

Cheers

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.