I have a 1999 Compaq Presario 5340 that has an AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor, but I want to install a new, higher speed processor.

What would be my choices??

Thank you to anyone who can assist me!!!!!!

Alan

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

A new motherboard (your 1999 motherboard is not capable of any sensible upgrade).

From that follows a whole choice of bits to stick on. First thing I recommend having been through both processor type is to dump AMD and go Intel.

You then have the choice of dual core or quad core. I suspect you'll go for dual core on a cost effectiveness basis (Core 2 Duo to be precise).

Then there's processor speed. To be somewhat future proof (you can't be, of course), get the highest speed CPU you an afford and choose the motherboard accordingly. I have chosen an nForce motherboard for my recent upgrade; they have the advantage of being nVidia graphics friendly.

This Intel URL provides the CPU choices you have. 4MB cache has performance advantages.
http://www.intel.com/cd/products/services/emea/eng/319641.htm

Then there's RAM. 2GB and above is my recommendation. Windows XP will handle 4GB and if you go to XP Pro 64Bit, then 8GB or more is available for you.

Graphics - well nVidia is less trouble and faster than ATI. 512MB RAM is what I use but you should choose the power of the graphics card.

Now await the flood of advice and ignore anyone who seriously contradicts me!

It's Saturday - go buy.

A new motherboard (your 1999 motherboard is not capable of any sensible upgrade).

a new tower with all new,OS, ram,drives and stuff,might all well get new LCD monitor while you at it !

Now await the flood of advice and ignore anyone who seriously contradicts me!

LOL

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.