I have been working with Windows XP with much personal stuff. Then I needed to upgrade my hardware. I bought new motherboard, new processor, etc.
I tried to keep up my old harddrive and my old Windows XP with all my personal stuff. After the hardware change Windows XP can now boot only in Safe Mode. I now installed in Safe Mode the new drivers for the new mainboard. But yet even with the new drivers installed, Windows does not boot in normal mode. During the Windows XP boot prozess comes the blue screen and booting is interrupted and computer restarts. Then I can boot again in safety mode only.

I guess the main problem is, that I changed not only the motherboard, but also the processor typ. I have changed from Intel to AMD. I guess this, causes Windows XP booting to stop. Is there a chance to tell Windows XP in Safety Mode, that the processor was changed? Maybe I can still try to make a Windows XP repair, with original Windows XP Installation disk. I did try this yet. I will let you know this.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

you need to reinstall windows totally. XP is designed to throw a fit if teh H/W changes to protect against piracy.

you need to reinstall windows totally. XP is designed to throw a fit if teh H/W changes to protect against piracy.

Yep, simply all the registries are should be re-written, isn't it?

I will agree that it is best to do a fresh install of winxp when changing the motherboard ,but its not totally necessary ,I have done a repair install many time on customers computers and on mine own computer ,when i didn't want to reload all the other software on the computer ,actually just had a return customer[virus problem ] that i had done it to back in may of 05,and its still running the same winxp install.

Hi,
I can tell you that you are lacky man that even starts in safe mode when you change some new parts especially MB your windows can't even boot in safe mode.So I'm telling you if you are having some personal files move them in other partition and install a new windows.

Hi,
I can tell you that you are lacky man that even starts in safe mode when you change some new parts especially MB your windows can't even boot in safe mode.So I'm telling you if you are having some personal files move them in other partition and install a new windows.

i second this, u are indeed luck, any h/w change of that nature does require a fresh install. but u should be able to do a new install and keep all you programs.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.