I downloaded a patch to install DirectX 9 under Wine, but where do I put the patch for it to work?

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Unless I'm badly mistaken, I believe the patch you downloaded is for source code. In other words, you download the wine source, apply the patch using patch (big surprise there), and then compile and install the software the way you would expect.

Aw damn.
I don't wanna recompile Wine.

Maybe you can help me though.
Alright, so I installed Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas using a DVD (mounted from ISO >.>). The install went perfectly. Then I try to run it (nocd patch, sue me) and it gives me a blank white screen, which flashes twice, goes black, goes the white screen and my wireless icon (system tray). Then whenever I press "Enter" or click anywhere, it crashes. My Wine log is this:

alex@alex-laptop:~$ cd .wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Rockstar\ Games/GTA\ San\ Andreas/
alex@alex-laptop:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Rockstar Games/GTA San Andreas$ wine gta_sa.exe 
fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 8193 (SPI_SETFOREGROUNDLOCKTIMEOUT)
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x34f78c,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:ddraw:IDirectDrawImpl_SetCooperativeLevel (0x124090)->((nil),00000008)
fixme:ddraw:IDirectDrawImpl_SetCooperativeLevel (0x123fe8)->((nil),00000008)
fixme:d3d:IWineD3DImpl_CheckDeviceMultiSampleType Quality levels unsupported at present
fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_EvictManagedResources (0x1288e8) : stub
fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 59 (SPI_SETSTICKYKEYS)
fixme:devenum:DEVENUM_ICreateDevEnum_CreateClassEnumerator Category {2721ae20-7e70-11d0-a5d6-28db04c10000} not found
fixme:devenum:DEVENUM_ICreateDevEnum_CreateClassEnumerator Category {cc7bfb41-f175-11d1-a392-00e0291f3959} not found
fixme:devenum:DEVENUM_ICreateDevEnum_CreateClassEnumerator Category {cc7bfb46-f175-11d1-a392-00e0291f3959} not found
fixme:quartz:MPEGSplitter_query_accept MPEG-1 system streams not yet supported.
fixme:devenum:DEVENUM_ICreateDevEnum_CreateClassEnumerator Category {2721ae20-7e70-11d0-a5d6-28db04c10000} not found
fixme:devenum:DEVENUM_ICreateDevEnum_CreateClassEnumerator Category {cc7bfb41-f175-11d1-a392-00e0291f3959} not found
fixme:devenum:DEVENUM_ICreateDevEnum_CreateClassEnumerator Category {cc7bfb46-f175-11d1-a392-00e0291f3959} not found
fixme:quartz:MPEGSplitter_query_accept MPEG-1 system streams not yet supported.
Initialised SoundManager
fixme:dsound:IDirectSoundBufferImpl_SetFX (0x368f930,0,(nil),(nil)): stub
fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 59 (SPI_SETSTICKYKEYS)
alex@alex-laptop:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Rockstar Games/GTA San Andreas$

I've had very limited success using wine, although the first thing I'd recommend you try is running winecfg and playing with some of the settings there. Also, test that wine is setup correctly by running notepad before trying to run a full-blown game.

I've been using Wine for some time now, and I've been messing with winecfg.

I guess the best I can do is to mess around a bit more.

Updates:

I actually got DirectX 9.0 installed under Wine, and I can now play the opening cutscene to Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

However, if I click, press enter, or wait for it to end, it crashes back to my desktop.

Any help?

You should probably try.9.53, not the ancient version packaged with Ubuntu.

I used sudo apt-get install wine to install Wine, so technically shouldn't I have the most updated version?

No.

The source is here

Thanks.

Haha, I used Wine-Doors to install it. It was quite easy.

And I abandoned my whole GTA obsession under WINE.

I'd still like a good Sandbox game however.

hey hello go to my website and download msg_29
wwwwww.heber web.co.in.co.in

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.