I have Windows XP Home and Linux Mandrake 9.1 Dual Booted on one Hard drive. My Windows XP Home partition is NTFS based, but Linux refuses to remember this. When I boot Linux it tells me the partition is the wrong FS type, yet I'm sure it's set to NTFS.

From root I can mount it using (something like):

mount -t NTFS /hda1 /mnt/windows

But that means only my root user can use it, and I don't use root because the KDE GUI looks crappy with it ;). I can't mount using mount /mnt/windows or anything without specifiying NTFS.

Any ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

you have managed to mess up your boot loader some how.

post the exact contents of your /etc/fstab

VIA some screenshots

This problem has something to do with the boot loader? I think he is able to dual boot fine. His problem is that he's just trying to mount an NTFS partition from within Linux. That still has to do with /etc/fstab, right?

Boot loader's fine, works great.

But i'll post /etc/fstab neway...

"Boot loader's fine, works great.

But i'll post /etc/fstab neway..." (has nothing to do with boot loader)

This problem has something to do with the boot loader? I think he is able to dual boot fine. His problem is that he's just trying to mount an NTFS partition from within Linux. That still has to do with /etc/fstab, right?

Nope your right its not the loader
Im simultaneously posting on diffrent messageboards right now sorry
Now back to the question at hand
post the output of
fdisk -l (has nothing to do with boot loader)

This is a simple problem(if you want to call it that)to fix but we need the screenshots

I was merely following your instructions, I'm not exactly a Linux Guru. :rolleyes:

I'm assuming you mean fdisk as in the DOS programme?

'FDISK' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

hmmm.

Run on Root

It lists the available drives/partitions and information about them.

QUOTE: Judge judy
Listen to me,your not listening to me Im trying to help you. work
with me.

and wheres all the members who have LINUX avatars I rarely see them answering linux questions.....? It just seems odd to me

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.