Please be gentle, very new to this site...
I wanted to try out KDE and I happen to have an older copy of Mandrake 6...
I have never installed it...

Do I want to do this or do I want to use a different distro...?
Can someone provide a link to KDR for this distro...?

I have nothing in particular I need to do with it other than basic Web Browsing... Word processing, spreadsheets...
I use Firefox... Sometimes Opera...

This will be on a spare system...
Preferably my old laptop
... Dell C610, 20 gig drive, 1 ghz Pentium M, 512 megs of ram etc...

If needed I have higher end desktops I can use...

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I have KDE installed on Redhat 6...
It says installed correctly
But when I type in KDE I get:
kcontrol: cannot connect to x server
I get this a dozen times for different processes then back to $ prompt...

Mandrake 6? Red Hat 6? For the love of God, man! Where are you getting these old distributions?!?!?!?!

You're asking for nothing but trouble with those old versions. If you have broadband, you'll want to download a newer version. Your best bet would be to check out a place like CheapBytes to order some newer versions.

(FYI, Mandrake is up to 10.1, so there's a HUGE difference in your experience ahead of you.)

I have a newer version on the way..

I just happen to have that one here...

After some checking I found that everything after 7.2 will support all of my hardware...

Knoppix seems to work well and I have another LIVE version comming from a friend...

Thanks for the info... I knew it was old, I was just asking if it would work...

It will work as long as you compile the drivers correctly, most likly the XFree86 Engine is not configured to work with your video card, or your video card driver is not installed, and the generic ones back then sucked.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.