no c compiler found in $PATH

I tried to run ./configure on a small program that the Linux book I'M reading instructed me to download and I got the error "no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH" I then tried to run atp-get install gcc, but then I got "unable to locate package gcc". Any dieas?

Featured Replies in this Discussion

• Try to install ... (at least, in Ubuntu repos, I don't know if other debian distros have it too), it will install everything you need. ... Also, if you get the message "unable to locate package ..", then you should try to do a search for it: ... It should list all packages that contain that word (like ... ). It's possible that the package is named something else, like ... or something like that.
    Post Contains: Code

Try to install build-essential (at least, in Ubuntu repos, I don't know if other debian distros have it too), it will install everything you need.

$ sudo apt-get install build-essential

Also, if you get the message "unable to locate package ..", then you should try to do a search for it:

$ sudo aptitude search gcc

It should list all packages that contain that word (like grep). It's possible that the package is named something else, like gcc-4.7 or something like that.

Thanks. It worked but it took me a while. I had to run apt-get update first. I alwasy forget that after I've just installed a new server. Since we're on the subject, why do simple apt-get commands not work until upate has been run?

apt-get update , Updates the "local database" of what is available (in the Terabtytes) on the clouds...
sudo apt-get install build-essential libc6-dev libbz2-dev check
Ubuntu lacks the above by default

You
This article has been dead for over six months: Start a new discussion instead
Tags Related to this Article