when i enter

"modprobe slamr"

this is my modem driver, it tells me its tainted adn i should visit tux.org/something for more info and it said it was loaded with warnings :000!

then when I enter

"slmodemd"

[root@localhost epro]# slmodemd
SmartLink Soft Modem: version 2.9.6 Feb 29 2004 18:44:05
modem `slamr0' created. TTY is `/dev/pts/1'
symbolic link `/dev/ttySL0' -> `/dev/pts/1' created.
Use `/dev/ttySL0' as modem device, Ctrl+C for termination.

looks right, right?
not exactly
If i start playing music it will go into a complete freeze
I mean a COMPLETE freeze mouse is frozen and everything
it works just fine in windows

and when i hit control - c and start playign music....

IT WORKS!

when I play music before connecting it wont freeze untill i switch songs

it freezes when ANY kind of audio is played...CD,MP3, and even sound server

Contributors
Replies
Views
13 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by i686-linux

This may not be of great help, but those modem + sound-in-one combo cards seem to be nothing but a pain. Sometimes even when used in Windows with the manufacturer's drivers. Which card is this in particular?

Link i686 said, if you have one of those modem/sound card combos... well, good luck getting it to work. I spent a week looking at documentation for the riptide drivers for the soundcard that comes on this hp pavilion 8776c. The modules would not work, so i looked on google groups and found that NOBODY has gotten the riptide drivers to work. So once I get more monies, I'm going to purchase a cheap sound card.

when i enter

"modprobe slamr"

this is my modem driver, it tells me its tainted adn i should visit tux.org/something for more info and it said it was loaded with warnings.

If i start playing music it will go into a complete freeze
I mean a COMPLETE freeze mouse is frozen and everything
it works just fine in windows.

and when i hit control - c and start playing music....
IT WORKS!
when I play music before connecting it wont freeze until i switch songs it freezes when ANY kind of audio is played...CD,MP3, and even sound server

I agree with the others here--get yourself a cheap sound card. The cheapest I would go is a SoundBlaster Live! OEM, at about $30 US. It's well-supported(!) under Linux and decent.

Until that time, go into your BIOS setup screen, find the item Plug and Play aware OS (or something like that-- it may vary) and set it to NO (default is usually YES). It doesn't matter for Windows and it interferes with Linux. This may well clear things up for you.

Buying a cheap sound card might be the best solution. Especially since you have seemed to have had lots of trouble with these drivers from the very beginning!

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.