when i enter

"modprobe slamr"

this is my modem driver, it tells me its tainted adn i should visit tux.org/something for more info and it said it was loaded with warnings :000!

then when I enter

"slmodemd"

[root@localhost epro]# slmodemd
SmartLink Soft Modem: version 2.9.6 Feb 29 2004 18:44:05
modem `slamr0' created. TTY is `/dev/pts/1'
symbolic link `/dev/ttySL0' -> `/dev/pts/1' created.
Use `/dev/ttySL0' as modem device, Ctrl+C for termination.

looks right, right?
not exactly
If i start playing music it will go into a complete freeze
I mean a COMPLETE freeze mouse is frozen and everything
it works just fine in windows

and when i hit control - c and start playign music....

IT WORKS!

when I play music before connecting it wont freeze untill i switch songs

it freezes when ANY kind of audio is played...CD,MP3, and even sound server

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

This may not be of great help, but those modem + sound-in-one combo cards seem to be nothing but a pain. Sometimes even when used in Windows with the manufacturer's drivers. Which card is this in particular?

Link i686 said, if you have one of those modem/sound card combos... well, good luck getting it to work. I spent a week looking at documentation for the riptide drivers for the soundcard that comes on this hp pavilion 8776c. The modules would not work, so i looked on google groups and found that NOBODY has gotten the riptide drivers to work. So once I get more monies, I'm going to purchase a cheap sound card.

when i enter

"modprobe slamr"

this is my modem driver, it tells me its tainted adn i should visit tux.org/something for more info and it said it was loaded with warnings.

If i start playing music it will go into a complete freeze
I mean a COMPLETE freeze mouse is frozen and everything
it works just fine in windows.

and when i hit control - c and start playing music....
IT WORKS!
when I play music before connecting it wont freeze until i switch songs it freezes when ANY kind of audio is played...CD,MP3, and even sound server

I agree with the others here--get yourself a cheap sound card. The cheapest I would go is a SoundBlaster Live! OEM, at about $30 US. It's well-supported(!) under Linux and decent.

Until that time, go into your BIOS setup screen, find the item Plug and Play aware OS (or something like that-- it may vary) and set it to NO (default is usually YES). It doesn't matter for Windows and it interferes with Linux. This may well clear things up for you.

Buying a cheap sound card might be the best solution. Especially since you have seemed to have had lots of trouble with these drivers from the very beginning!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.